How the Writing Lab Works
Who We Are
- The Writing Lab is a component of the Basic Science Lab in Room B108, a general-use computer lab, offering free and open access for all BSU students. Its purpose is to help students succeed in their academic endeavors, particularly in the area of writing.
- The Writing Lab operates in conjunction with the Academic Success Center by utilizing the ASC tutors.
- Instructors may hold classes in the Writing/Basic Science Lab and are advised to reserve the area in advance.
- Lab equipment includes 29 computers available for student use, 1 projector with pull-down screen, 2 printers, and 1 webcam.
Tutoring Session Guidelines
- Students are welcome to use the lab at any time during business hours to work independently or to receive assistance.
- Pre-scheduled appointments are also available. Phone the Academic Success Center at 304-327-4098 or the Writing Lab at 304-327-4227.
What We Expect from You
- Please bring your own writing and the written guidelines for your assignment from your instructor.
- We want you to learn and practice self-editing skills to write effectively in your life beyond Bluefield State University, as opposed to correcting errors for you. We will focus on the strengths and weaknesses in your writing as a whole, as opposed to the writing demonstrated in one specific paper.
What You Can Expect from Writing Lab Tutors
- They will help you stay in control of your writing.
- They will listen to your topic ideas and ask questions to help you develop your thesis.
- They will review your paper and point out unclear parts of your writing.
- They will help you learn to identify grammar or punctuation mistakes and offer suggestions on how you can correct them.
Other Writing Lab Resources
- Writing handouts on a variety of writing skills for quick reference
- Handouts and grammar guides you may use in the lab
- Customized classroom presentations
For help with spelling:
For help with essay writing:
For help with citation generators:
For help with research and citation:
For writing videos:
For help with all aspects of writing: