Bluefield State College student Virginia Zanotti (right) is pictured with Dr. Kerry Stauffer, BSC Engineering Technology faculty member as he presents the “Claude B. Dalton Scholarship” to her.  Zanotti was also honored as BSC’s “Top Engineering Technology Freshman.”

BSC Student Virginia Zanotti Recognized as College’s “Top Engineering Technology Freshman”

Virginia Zanotti was recently recognized as Bluefield State College’s top Engineering Technology Freshman for the 2020-2021 Academic Year and as the recipient of the Claude B. Dalton Scholarship.  She is a Civil Engineering Technology Major from Argentina and currently holds a 4.0 GPA.  She is a student worker and is also a member of the Bluefield State College Women’s Tennis Team. 

“I really like the Civil Engineering Tech program at BSC,” Virginia commented.  “I love the small classes with super individualized education. That helped me a lot at the beginning because I used to struggle a bit with the language, and I was always able to talk to the professors whenever I had a question.” 

Dr. Kerry Stauffer, a BSC professor and Virginia’s Advisor in Civil Engineering Technology, notes, “Virginia exemplifies exactly the type of student we strive to develop at BSC–one who personifies the College’s Core Values of Excellence, Community, Diversity, and Growth. She is a dedicated student and student worker, participates in extracurricular activities, and gives back to her community.”

“When I finished high school, I wanted to pursue an undergraduate program while at the same time continuing with my tennis career,” the BSC student-athlete explained.  “This was my dream back home, but it was impossible to pursue it there.  Bluefield State has given me the opportunity to achieve my dream.” 

Virginia began playing tennis when she was 6 years old and started competing within three years.  When she isn’t competing, she enjoys sharing her knowledge of tennis.  This summer, Virginia and some of her teammates utilized an internship opportunity to teach tennis lessons at a summer camp in Miami, FL. 

Professor Claude B. Dalton, a Monroe County native, supported the BSC Engineering Technology departments as a mathematics professor from 1968 until his retirement in 1985. Upon his retirement, Mr. Dalton earned Professor Emeritus status and continued to teach as an adjunct faculty member until 1990.

Similar Posts