The Bluefield State residency policy states that first-year students must live in a college residence hall. This policy may be waived in years when space is not available on campus.
The College cares about student success and success begins with living on campus. National research demonstrates that students who live on campus are more successful. Students who live on campus typically have high-grade point averages, are more satisfied with their college experience, are more engaged in co-curricular experiences, and are more likely to persist and graduate than students who commute. Residence Hall students live in close proximity to resources that are integral to student success. Our Residence Hall students develop lifelong friendships and pride for being members of the Big Blue family.
All Housing Agreements are for one academic year, from July to May, and students who sign a housing agreement are required to live on campus for the entirety of that agreement. If a student does not qualify for an exemption to the policy at the beginning of the year, the student must fulfill the agreement even though he or she may become eligible for an exemption during the year. Requests for exemptions must be submitted in writing to the Office of Housing & Residence Life.
Exemptions to the policy may be granted by the Collegiate Housing Corporation of Bluefield with supporting documentation if special circumstances are outlined, and approval is obtained, prior to the signing of the Housing Agreement. Students may request an exemption to this policy for the following reasons:
- Commuter: Students living at home with parents and commuting within a 60-mile radius from the main campus.
- Married: Students who are married and living with a spouse.
- Veteran: Students who are veterans or currently in reserve status or the National Guard with one or more years of active service.
- Age: Students who have reached the age of 21 prior to the first day of classes.
- Parent: Students who have a dependent child of whom they have legal custody.
- Disability: Students with disabilities who cannot be accommodated within one of the campus residence halls.
For more information on the residency requirement or questions on the exemption request form, contact the Office of Housing & Residence Life at email@example.com or 304.327.4708.