McGee Foundation Scholarships are funded by a grant from the McGee Foundation of Charleston, WV. The scholarships are for incoming or current residents of West Virginia; students are awarded per academic year for no more than eight consecutive fall/spring semesters. Space in the program is limited and competitive.
Students may receive up to $10,000.00 per academic year, up to the cost of attendance, for no more than four consecutive years (eight consecutive fall/spring semesters), assuming the student maintains eligibility for the program once selected. Selected scholars will benefit through significant opportunities for resume quality community volunteer experiences, and mentorship from professional community leaders, as well as have expanded academic support.
- Must be considered a resident of the State of West Virginia for the purpose of admission.
- Graduates of this program agree to work in the State of West Virginia for two years (24 months) following their graduation from Bluefield State University.
- Applicants to the McGee Foundation Scholarships must have completed the admissions process for Bluefield State University and be conditionally or fully admitted to the University.
- Applicants to the McGee Foundation Scholarships must have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) and must accept any federal or state grants offered by that process.
- All McGee Foundation Scholars will be required to participate in the University’s student success program by signing a student success contract and developing a student success plan to assist them in maintaining good academic standing. This will include regular meetings with the Academic Success Center staff.
- All McGee Community Scholars will be required to volunteer a minimum of 75 hours per semester (an average of five hours per week) for the duration of their scholarship, and volunteer with an actual organization (not an individual). They may not be paid and must be supervised by someone who is not a family member.
- Each McGee Community Scholar will be assigned a mentor who is a professional leader from a community in Southern West Virginia, who will meet with the scholar a minimum of 10 hours per year.
- Each McGee Community Scholar must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress, as defined by the Office of Financial Aid, which requires a 2.0 cumulative GPA and that you successfully complete 67% of all credit hours you begin.
McGee Foundation Scholarships Application Process
- Complete the Bluefield State University Application
- Complete the McGee Foundation Scholarships Application
- Complete the FAFSA
- Applicants must supply two written recommendations from educators, employers, or community leaders concerning the character and motivation of the applicant for entry into the McGee Foundation Scholarships program. Recommendations must not be from a family member or from someone unfamiliar with your work ethic.
- Applicants must agree to take part in live interview, preferably on campus unless a compelling reason requires remote interview.