Travel Signatures

Review the process for obtaining a Travel Signature.

Reentry Into the U.S.

Be prepared to present the following items at the port of entry into the U.S.:

I-20 (F-1 Students) With Valid Travel Signature

  • Be sure you have the new I-20 version; I-20s were redesigned in 2015, and the new version was required by July 1, 2016.
  • Your I-20 must be signed by an adviser in International Student Services (ISS) before you leave the U.S. All students are required to obtain a travel signature that allows you to return to the U.S.
  • This signature is valid for one year (12 months) after the signature date and can be used for multiple entries.
  • If you are on OPT, you must obtain a travel signature every 6 months.
  • To obtain a travel signature, contact your PDSO to schedule an appointment. Carry all I-20s you have ever been issued, not just the most recent one.

Valid Passport

  • Your passport must be valid for at least six months when seeking admission or readmission to the United States, unless your country has an agreement with the United States. For a list of countries under this agreement, review the list on the Immigration Customs Enforcement website. Your passport should remain valid throughout your stay in the U.S.

Valid U.S. Visa

  • You must present a valid, unexpired visa in the category for which admission is being sought each time you enter the U.S. (Canadian citizens are exempt from the visa requirement; however, landed immigrants of Canada are generally required to obtain a visa.) If your visa expires while you are in the U.S., the next time you travel abroad you must obtain a new visa in the proper category in order to be readmitted to the United States. Apply for the visa in your home country, unless circumstances or travel plans make this impossible. If you apply for a visa at a U.S. consulate in another country, your application may be reviewed more critically than if you applied at home. In-person interviews are required for most visa applicants. You are encouraged to contact the U.S. consulate as early as possible to schedule the visa interview appointment. Anticipate delays in visa issuance due to enhanced security reviews.
  • An exception to the rule requiring a valid, unexpired visa exists for students in F-1 status who travel for less than 30 days solely to Canada or Mexico or islands in the Caribbean except for Cuba. Your visa will be considered to be “extended” (and “converted” to the proper visa category if you had changed status while in the U.S.) to the date of re-entry, eliminating the need to obtain a new visa at a U.S. consulate before that particular re-entry. This procedure is known as “automatic visa revalidation.” Note that if you apply for a new visa while in Canada, Mexico, and islands in the Caribbean, you will not be able to return to the U.S. unless the visa is granted. Also, citizens of Iran, Syria, and Sudan are not eligible for automatic visa revalidation.

Financial Evidence

  • You must carry evidence detailing the source and amount of your funding. Consular and immigration officers exercise considerable discretion in determining whether your financial support is sufficient to cover all academic and living expenses.

Current Class Schedule

  • You can print your current class schedule from your “MYBSU” page.
  • New Students for initial entry: bring a copy of proof of admission to the BSU.

SEVIS I-901 Fee Receipt

Travel Within the United States

  • You and your dependents may be surprised to learn that federal law requires that you carry “registration” documentation at all times. This includes a basic identity document such as a passport, plus your current I-20 and I-94 card. For day-to-day purposes, we suggest you keep these documents in a secure location, such as a bank safe deposit box. However, if you are traveling within the U.S. you should carry these documents with you. If you are traveling by air, train, bus, or ship, you may be required to produce these documents before boarding. Keep photocopies of all your documents in a separate location, in the event your documents are lost or stolen.

Entry Into Another Country

  • Before you leave the United States, contact the consulate of the country to be visited to inquire about visa and travel procedures. If you plan to visit Canada, contact the Canadian Consulate to determine if you need a visa to enter Canada.

Travel After Completion of Studies

  • F-1 students: If you do not apply for OPT, you have a 60-day grace period after the last day of your final quarter. Once you leave the U.S. (including short trips to Canada and Mexico) after completing your studies you cannot reenter the U.S. with your current I-20 unless you have already applied for OPT and intend to travel with a pending application. The grace period is for travel within the U.S. and preparation for departure.

Travel and OPT

Before graduation, if your post-completion OPT application is pending, you may travel and reenter the U.S.

After graduation, if your post-completion OPT has been approved and your EAD issued, we recommend you have proof of employment with you to re-enter. You should carry the following documents with you:

  • I-20 signed for travel by an international student adviser within the last 6 months
  • EAD card
  • Valid passport
  • Unexpired F-1 visa (unless returning from a short trip to Canada, Mexico, or the Caribbean)
  • Evidence of employment in your field of study (letter of employment, written job offer)