Home / Student Health Center / Student Health Center – Additional Information

The Student Health Center can help

with your travel needs

Travel requirements are ever changing for countries outside the US.  Because of this it can be a little daunting to know what vaccines are required to go to certain places when you travel.    Schedule an appointment with the Student Health Center to discuss recommendations for tropical and subtropical environments such as Africa, Latin America, and South America.

Your best source of information is the

Centers for Disease Control

The CDC has the latest, up-to-date immunization and travel health information for all destinations. Go to directly to the travel page here: (CDC) Traveler’s Health website.  The CDC also has travel advisories and other information related to travel.

  • Review your past immunizations

For adults the CDC recommends that you keep up to date with your vaccinations to assist with preventing illness.  Your last tetanus shot should be within the past ten years. You should have two MMR (mumps, measles, rubella) shots, at least four polio vaccinations, MCV after the age of 17  and  2 varicella.  For elderly it is also recommended that you receive a flu shot yearly, pneumonia vaccine every 5-10 years and a shingles vaccine every 5-10 years.

  • Start Hepatitis A shots

We recommend starting the Hepatitis A series of two shots, preferably, the first at least one month before travel. The second shot is six months later.

  • Take malaria prevention medication

The most common medications for malaria prevention are taken once a week starting a few days before your trip, during your trip and for four weeks after the trip. The exact medication depends on your destination.

  • Get immunized against typhoid fever

While the Student Health Center does not carry the shot version, we can give you a prescription for the oral form.

  • Take an anti-diarrhea prescription with you

You should consider taking Cipro or Zithromax (antibiotics) in case of traveler’s diarrhea.

  • Buy mosquito repellent

Malaria and Zika are not the only diseases carried by mosquitoes. Read about Dengue Fever and Chikungunya before you travel. There is no vaccine or treatment. Prevent mosquito bites in the first place.

  • Yellow Fever

If you are traveling to South America, find out if you need a Yellow Fever vaccination.

  • See the Provider

We recommend that you make an appointment with a provider in the BSU SHC to review your medical history, immunizations, discuss travel recommendations, and receive prescriptions for the above items for university sponsored travel programs.  

After Hours Advice

If you become ill at night or on weekends when the BSU SHC is closed you have several options:

Princeton Community Hospital

Bluefield Regional Emergency Room

Med Express

Resident Advisor

Housing Director

After hours advice line, call the BSU SHC at 304-327-4170, leave a message and we will get back with you the following day unless a weekend day.

If your problem is more serious and needs immediate help, talk to your resident advisor.


Call 911 or go to the Emergency Room

Health Insurance

You do not need Health Insurance to be seen in the BSU as there is no visit charge for active students, faculty and staff who present their school ID.   We do not accept cash or credit cards nor do we bill health insurance for any services.

However, because the BSU is limited in scope and cannot provide all your medical care, we strongly encourage, but do not require, all students to have health insurance coverage for laboratory testing, x-rays, emergency room visits, hospitalizations, and specialist visits. If you have coverage, please make sure that it can be used in the Princeton/Bluefield WV area.

For many years, BSU has sponsored a Student Health Insurance option providing affordable, short-term, health insurance when other options were not available. With the passage of the Affordable Care Act, the insurance industry has changed.


  1. You can enroll/continue on your parent’s health insurance plan until age 26.
  • You can access coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace (i.e., the Public Exchange) and may qualify for a subsidy offered through the Federal Government. American Exchange can assist you with enrolling in the Health Insurance Marketplace and in obtaining any subsidy for which you are eligible.
  • Another private health exchange with access to more than 300 health carriers is Edusure by Academic Health Plans. You may call Edusure at 1-800-EDU-EXCHANGE or enroll online.

We take student health seriously at BSU and we are committed to supporting your health needs. Health insurance is an important part of your ability to have a successful experience at BSU, and we look forward to helping you achieve success.


The BSU has a limited State of West Virginia pharmacy license allowing us to fill only those prescriptions written by our doctor or nurse practitioners. We do not have a pharmacist on staff or a general license to sell to the public and thus cannot fill prescriptions written by your doctor or an emergency room.

We stock Plan-B emergency contraception, steroids, generic antibiotics and a few other medications for acute problems such as infections, poison ivy, gastroenteritis and allergic reactions.

We do not stock daily medications that you might be taking for chronic conditions …for example Singular and Advair for asthma or Zoloft for depression. We also do not stock DEA scheduled medications such as narcotics, tranquilizers and ADD drugs. For these medications there are three pharmacies within walking distance.



If the BSU does not take health insurance why do you want our health insurance information?

Though the BSU does not bill health insurance for any services, we may refer you to a laboratory, x-ray facility, emergency room, or specialist who will need to know your health insurance.


Where can students get prescriptions filled?

The BSU has a small pharmacy in the Health Center that stocks some birth control pills and a few generic antibiotics, along with some over the counter medications. By law, we can only fill prescriptions written by our University Provider. We are not allowed to fill prescriptions from other physicians nor can we special order medications for you.

Medical Forms

I am unable to get my Medical Information Form in on time.  What should I do?

Send your form in just as soon as you possibly can.  Before sending it, check it thoroughly making sure there are no blank spaces.  It is important that all questions are answered.  If the answer is “no” or “none,” write it in.  If you see blank spaces, check form for completion. You may also call the BSU SHC.


What will happen if I don’t have all my immunizations?

State of West Virginia law requires that you document immunization for or natural immunity to Rubeola (measles), mumps, Rubella (German Measles).  If you live in the dorms you must provide a complete immunization record that includes the following:  TdaP  within the past 10 years, 2 MMR’s or titer showing immunity, Polio vaccine 3 immunizations acceptable but 4 are preferred, Meningococcal with 2 vaccines and the most recent has to be after ag 17 years old, and Varicella vaccines require 2 shots or titer showing immunity.  As of right now West Virginia only accepts religious exemptions, so if this is your reason you will need to submit one to the BSU SHC.

I don’t have my immunization records. What should I do?

Check with your physician or your high school. If you cannot find any records, call the Student Health Center, 304-327-4170, and we will work with you.


I missed class because I was sick, can you give me an excuse?

Please see our Absence Excuse Policy.

If you haven’t found an answer to your question, you can click on the “Comments or Questions?” link below and anonymously email your question. We will update the page with an answer as soon as possible.  bschealthcenter@bluefieldstate.edu or call 304-327-4170.