Home / Provost of Academic Affairs / General University Complaint Process

All complaints pertaining to separate policies and procedures for resolution will be forwarded to the appropriate parties, including but not limited to the following concerns:

  • Academic Grade Appeals
  • ADA Accommodations/Discrimination
  • Title IX Violations

Informal Resolution

Complainants are encouraged to seek an informal resolution at the department level whenever possible. The Dean of Students can assist with the informal resolution when applicable.

File a Complaint

If the complainant does not want to seek an informal resolution or if attempts at an informal resolution have been exhausted, the complainant may submit a formal written complaint utilizing the online General University Complaint Form submission process.

File a Complaint

Upon receipt of a written complaint, the Provost or Designee will contact the complainant via email to confirm receipt of the complaint within five (5) business (working) days of the complaint submission.

Additional information, including a step-by-step process, is available in Administrative Procedure ADMIN-01, located on the Provost & Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs webpage.

If the complainant cannot resolve their complaint after using the Bluefield State complaint process described above, the complainant may submit an official complaint to the West Virginia Higher Education Policy Commission (WVHEPC).

Furthermore, if the complainant cannot resolve their complaint after using the WVHEPC complaint process, the complainant may submit an official complaint to the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), the regional accrediting agency for Bluefield State University.

Additional Instructions for Distance Education Students

NC-SARA is the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. SARA is an agreement among member states, districts, and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education. Bluefield State University is an approved member institution of NC-SARA, and the WV Higher Education Policy Commission (WVHEPC) is the SARA Portal Entity for West Virginia.

Distance education students should first attempt to resolve their complaint using the procedures described above. Please indicate in the complaint description if you are a Distance Education Student including your location or if you are enrolled for Distance Learning Non-WV Professional Licensure.

For more information, visit NC-SARA or the WVHEPC SARA.

If you are residing in California or the Northern Mariana Islands while attending Bluefield State University as a distance education student, you are not considered a member state of NC-SARA. You may file a complaint in the state where you reside. As required by federal regulations, you need to reach out to these organizations based upon your area:

California – California State Government Department of Consumer Affairs

Northern Mariana Islands – Postsecondary Education: Office of the NMC President, P.O. Box 501250, Saipan MP 96950, nmc@marianas.edu