Hundreds of linear feet of photographs, publications, news clippings, plaques, programs, and assorted material collected over a lifetime by Bluefield State College alumni Dr. Carl P. and Selba Meadows Boyd is on display in the William B. Robertson Library on the BSC campus.
The Boyds met during a new student orientation session prior to the start of their freshman year at Bluefield State in 1953 and married in December, 1954. Throughout their lives, they’ve maintained a love for their alma mater. They have preserved the life and legacy of the College through Carl’s camera lens and Selba’s guidance. The Boyds brought their impressive pictorial collection to hundreds of Bluefield State College Alumni Association and community events through the years.
Several years ago, the Boyds donated their considerable collection to the Bluefield State College Archives. The Boyd Collection now encircles the perimeter of the Robertson Library, providing visitors with a very moving, dynamic rendering of the people, events, and places that have shaped the history of the College, which will celebrate its 125th anniversary in 2020. Bluefield State Archivist Jim Leedy and Carl Boyd have devoted hundreds of hours to transfer the photos, images, and artifacts of the Boyd Collection into digital form, which is also now available for viewing in the College’s Archives.
On August 17, the dedication ceremony celebrating the naming of the William B. Robertson Library will begin at 10 a.m. in the library. Attendees can enjoy tours of the Boyd Collection and Robertson Exhibit before, during, and following the dedication ceremony. Later that afternoon, at 2 p.m., a groundbreaking ceremony in the Othello Harris-Jefferson Student Center parking lot will mark the start official of construction to restore student housing to the Bluefield State College campus.