myBSC | Banner | Beckley | Helpdesk
Sunday, December 21, 2014
Text Size

Frequently Asked Questions

Registration – Dropping and Adding Classes

We hope that the information you are seeking can be found on this page. If you do not see the answer to your question below, please feel free to give our office a call at 304-327-4060 and we will be happy to assist you!

  • When is the last day to drop a class without a grade of “W” or to register for a class?
    Normally one week or five (5) days into the semester – Please refer to the Academic Calendar located in the current semester’s course schedule or the college’s current academic catalog.

  • Dropping a class with a grade of “W”
    If you withdrawal from a class during the allotted withdrawal period, the class dropped will appear as a “W” on your academic transcript. Refer to the current semester’s course schedule to see last day to withdrawal.

  • How do I drop a course or register for a course before the deadline?
    Obtain a Request for Change in Schedule (Drop/Add) form
    Forms are available in the Registrar’s Office. Complete the form and have your advisor and instructor sign the form.  If it is an online class and you cannot get the instructor signature, you may get the Dean of that college to sign in place of the instructor. Once form is completed and has the required signatures, return the form to the Registrar’s Office or the Counseling Center for processing. Please note; changes in student academic schedules may result in changes in student fees.

  • What if I want to withdraw from the College?
    A student that wishes to withdraw from the College must submit a Permit to Withdraw form. These forms are available in the Counseling Center, Room 307 in Conley Hall. Several signatures in addition to the Counseling Center’s are required to process the Permit to Withdraw form, including signatures from Financial Aid, Registrar’s Office, Business Office and the Library. After all signatures have been obtained, the form must be turned in at the Business Office in Conley Hall. Failure to not properly withdraw from the college will result in failing grades for that term. 

  • When do I register for classes?
    Pre-registration for currently enrolled students normally begins late October for the Spring Semester and in late March for the Summer and Fall terms. Students must see their Academic Advisor to approve their class schedule.  Class schedules can be entered by the Academic Advisor, Counseling Center, the Registrar’s Office, or through the Web Self Service (specific instructions for using the Web Self Service are contained in the class schedule and through the link on the Registrar’s Office website). Students are encouraged to utilize the Web Self Service whenever possible. Registration for new students should be done during orientation or through the Counseling Center located in room 305 in Conley Hall.

  • What if a class I want to register for is closed?
    The student must submit an add/drop form with signed permission of either the instructor or the school dean to the Registrar’s Office. Add/drop forms are available in the Registrar’s Office. 

  • How many hours do I need to be considered a full-time student?
    A minimum of 12 credit hours are needed to be considered full-time. Most students carry 15-18 credit hours per semester. Note, if you are planning to graduate with a Bachelors Degree in four years (eight semesters) then you will need to average 16 credit hours per semester, not including Developmental Classes. 

  • What are Developmental Classes and how do they count in my course load?
    Developmental Class requirements are set by the WV Higher Education Policy Commission and are based on placement and standardized test scores. Developmental Classes are numbered 100 and lower. Developmental Classes do not count as credit earned towards a degree, but are counted in the course load for billing and athletic, financial aid and immigration eligibility.

  • What if I want to register for more than 18 credit hours?
    Students may be granted permission to carry more than 18 hours. Approval must be obtained by the Vice President for Academic Affairs/Provost. 

Transcripts – What are they? How do I get one?

We hope that the information you are seeking can be found on this page. If you do not see the answer to your question below, please feel free to give our office a call at 304-327-4060 and we will be happy to assist you!

  • What is an Academic Transcript?
    An Academic Transcript is the official cumulative academic record of a student. It contains the terms a student was enrolled and what classes were taken. It also contains the grades earned, degrees awarded, academic actions and honors. Some demographic information such as name, student ID number, and address is also included on the transcript. There are two types of transcripts, official and unofficial. An official academic transcript is printed on the college’s transcript paper and contains the school stamp and signature of the Registrar. It is a formal certified document in a sealed envelope with the Registrar’s stamp. Official transcripts are normally required by educational institutions, employers, government agencies, etc.  Official transcript cannot be faxed. Unofficial transcripts contain the same information as an official transcript, but it is not printed on transcript paper and does not contain the school stamp or the Registrar’s signature.  Unofficial transcripts may be faxed.

  • How can I get a copy of my transcript?
    A request for a transcript must be made by the student in writing. A transcript request form can be found in the Registrar’s Office or through the link on the Registrar’s Office website under current students under the enrollment management tab  Requests may also be mailed or faxed to the Registrar’s Office,  Requests made via the telephone, voicemail or email will not be processed.  We are unable to express mail or overnight transcripts.

    Send mail requests along with a check or money order to cover the fee(s) to:
    Bluefield State College
    Attn: Registrar’s Office
    219 Rock Street
    Bluefield, WV 24701

    Or you may fax your transcript request to 304-327-4330. Please provide credit card or debit card information for processing of your transcript fee.

  • Is there a fee for transcripts?
    Yes, there is a $5.00 fee per request. All official transcripts require payment of fee at the time of the request. Payment can be made by check or money order made payable to Bluefield State College or you may pay by cash or credit card. We accept MasterCard, Visa and Discover. For credit card payments, we will need the name as it appears on the card, the card number, and the four digit expiration date.

    Please note, no transcripts can be issued if the student has financial holds.

  • What student information does the Registrar’s Office need when requesting transcripts?
    Student’s full name, including any previous names or name changes
    Dates of enrollment (when the student attended college)
    Student ID Number or Social Security Number
    Complete address of where the transcript is to be mailed
    Current contact information of student, address and phone number
    Student’s signature
    Date of the request

  • How long will it take for my transcript to be sent?
    Once the request is received, the transcript can usually be processed and mailed within 24 hours.

  • Can I get copies of my transcripts from other schools that I attended through Bluefield State College?
    No. Transcripts and other official documents received from other schools the student attended become property of Bluefield State College. Federal Policy mandates that we are not able to copy or reproduce those records. Official records and transcripts from other institutions must be obtained through that institution.

Transfer Credit

We hope that the information you are seeking can be found on this page. If you do not see the answer to your question below, please feel free to give our office a call at 304-327-4060 and we will be happy to assist you!

  • Does Bluefield State College accept credit from all Post Secondary Institutions?
    No, Bluefield State College only accepts credit from Regionally Accredited Institutions. International Transcripts (credit from institutions outside the US) should be evaluated by a recognized Transcript Evaluation Service prior to submission to Bluefield State College. Credit transferred from two year institutions (Community College, Junior College, etc) are required to meet all Residency Requirements, which includes a minimum of 56 hours from a four year bachelors level institution and a minimum of 32 hours from Bluefield State College must be satisfied

  • Will my grades transfer along with my credits?
    Both grades and credits from Regionally Accredited Institutions within the US will be accepted.  Passing grades from institutions outside of the US will be converted to a grade of “P”.

  • What do I do if I do not understand my transfer evaluation?
    Your advisor, the Dean of your program or the Registrar can meet and review your transfer evaluation with you.

  • If I attend another intuition to earn credits toward my degree at Bluefield State College, how can I be sure that the credits will transfer?
    Prior to enrolling at another institution, you must first complete a “Permission to Earn Credits At Another Institution (Transient) form and get the required signatures. With this approval, you are guaranteed that the credits will transfer and will be able to tell how the credits will be applied to your program.  Forms are available in the Registrar’s Office. Those students who fail to get proper, prior approval, are proceeding at their own risk of having their credits transfer.

  • If I attend Bluefield State College and wish to transfer to another institution, will my credits transfer?
    Bluefield State College is Regionally Accredited with programs in Engineering Technology, Nursing, Radiologic Technology, Education and Business which hold program specific accreditations in their major fields. The decision of how your credit will transfer to another institution will be made by that institution.

Major – Declaring A Major or Changing A Major

We hope that the information you are seeking can be found on this page. If you do not see the answer to your question below, please feel free to give our office a call at 304-327-4060 and we will be happy to assist you!

  • How do I declare a major or change a major?
    Students should meet with the Director of Advising and Counseling in the college’s Counseling Center located in Room 307 in Conley Hall. For majors in Nursing and Radiologic Technology, the student must first be admitted into the program through the Admissions Office. For majors in Teacher Education, the student must be admitted to the program through the Director of Teacher Education in the School of Education.

  • What if I don’t know who my advisor is?
    Contact the Counseling Center in room 307 in Conley Hall or the Registrar’s Office in room 101 in Conley Hall.


We hope that the information you are seeking can be found on this page. If you do not see the answer to your question below, please feel free to give our office a call at 304-327-4060 and we will be happy to assist you!

  • What is the grading scale at Bluefield State College?
    Bluefield State College utilizes a 4.00-0.00 point scale, A-F, for all classes numbered 100 and above.  Developmental courses (classes numbered below 100) are graded on a Satisfactory (S) or Unsatisfactory (U) basis. Developmental courses are not included in the student’s grade point average (GPA). Academic standing is based on a deficient quality point system (the number of quality points has below a 2.00 grade point average). Further information regarding the Bluefield State College grading system is available in the Bluefield State College catalog.

  • How do I receive my grades at the end of the semester?
    Final grades are posted on the Web Self Service section on the Bluefield State College website (www. . Bluefield State College no longer mails end of the semester grade reports.  Printed instructions on how to use the Web Self Service to check your grades are available in the Registrar’s Office located in room 101 in Conley Hall. 

  • What do I do if I think I received an incorrect grade for a course?
    The student should contact the instructor or the Registrar’s Office to verify the accuracy of the grade reported.

  • How do I appeal a grade?
    The process for appealing a grade is as follows:

    Review the grade with the instructor
    Review the grade with the Dean of the School with which the course was taught
    Review the grade with the Vice President for Academic Affairs
    Request a hearing before the Academic Appeals Committee

    For specific policies and procedures regarding grade appeals are outlined in the Academic Appeals section in the Bluefield State College Catalog.

  • How long do I have to make up an incomplete grade?
    A student is allowed one semester (excluding summer terms) to make up the work for a class in which an Incomplete Grade (I) was given). Failure to not make up the work within the allotted time period will result in the Incomplete Grade of (I) being changed to an “F”.  For more information refer to the college’s academic catalog under incomplete grades.