Building Monitor Responsibilities for Evacuation Emergencies
| Building Monitors
- Become familiar with your building, its evacuation routes and surrounding area.
- During an emergency, please try to remain calm and clearly issue instructions to all individuals in your area.
- Do not attempt to gather personal belongings as this may impede a safe exit.
- No one will be allowed to enter the building until a thorough inspection is completed and it is determined safe by law enforcement or rescue personnel.
- Instruct all persons to remain calm and exit the building in an orderly manner using stairways only.
- Direct all persons to report as a group to the location specified for your area in the Emergency Evacuation Plan, Designated Evacuation Reporting Areas.
- State that no one is to go to another building, to their vehicle, or leave the campus until a complete head count is made of all affected buildings and further instructions have been issued.
- If possible, escort handicapped individuals to exits. Alert law enforcement or rescue personnel if there is a person in need of special evacuation assistance.
- Try to determine that all individuals have exited from your area. Again, alert law enforcement or rescue personnel if there is a person in need of special evacuation assistance.
- Upon arriving at the specified location, ask faculty and staff from your area for an account of all persons under their responsibility.
- Immediately report any suspicious objects or persons not accounted for to law enforcement or rescue personnel.