Departmental responsibility might be best defined as the recruitment, selection, placement, development, evaluation, compensation, benefits, justice for and provision of human resources in a socially responsible manner in accord with legal mandates and restrictions. More specifically, the department is responsible for:
- Assisting all employees and departments on policy interpretation and implementation.
- Developing and revising policies, rules, procedures, standards and practices and submitting recommendations to the president.
- Formulating appropriate plans and action to ensure conformance with unemployment compensation laws, worker's compensation laws, Equal Pay Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, state minimum wage law, and other laws, regulations and guidelines.
- Providing counsel to employees.
- Providing a centralized source of records for classified employees, including personnel records, years of service records, and computerized demographic records.
- Maintaining information on employee retirement and insurance benefits plans; counsel and provide information, monitoring rules, regulations and laws effect plan change; and development and implementation of plan policy.