News & Events
Classified Staff Council
NOVEMBER 19, 2008
The Bluefield State College Classified Staff Council meeting was called to order at 1:35 pm in PE 202F by Lisa Neel, Chair, presiding.
Council Representatives Present: Lisa Neel, Chair Fred Hardee
Tom Harrison, Vice-Chair Jane Richardson
Lori Dials Marviene Johnson
Council Representatives Absent: Carol Baldwin Deirdre Guyton Anita Barilla
Council BOG Representative: Daniel Frost (absent)
Opening comments by Lisa Neel, Chair
Minutes: next meeting
• Flower Fund—No report
• Social Activities Committee—continues with employee spot light, Conley Hall 1st and 2nd floor will be recognized together, the Library will be recognized in January.
We will have the Christmas door contest; every participant will receive a certificate of participation. And a reminder BSC/President Walker’s dinner and dance rsvp deadline is November 21, 2008.
• Board of Governors—No report
• ACCE—will meet November 20, 2008 Fred will have updates and report at our next scheduled meeting.
• Personnel Development—continues to approve development by email.
• Wellness Committee—No report
• Next council meeting will be December 10, 2008 at 1:30 location TBA
• 2nd Wednesday of February (Feb. 11, 2008) other meetings will convene 3rd Wednesday of each month.
With no further business to come before the council, the meeting was adjourned at 3:00 pm.
Lisa Neel, Chair
Marviene Johnson, Acting Recording Secretary-December 11, 2008 : 2
• Discussion —our thoughts regarding merit pay.
• College Council- updates of the November 13, 2008 meeting. It was noted, #2.3 of Policy Statement, Section 2, (Membership of the Drug and Alcohol Abuse Prevention Committee) Discussion of representation, currently four out of nine members represented are classified employees, do we (classified council members) want to pursue having five council members by adding the classified staff council rep? It was decided to table this issue and perhaps revisit it at a later time.
o Bluefield State College Classified Staff Scholarship-Resolution: (the committee Lisa, Vonda, Kim and Marviene met Nov. 16, 2008). Discussion followed.
o Personnel Study—All reports due December 12, 2008
o Hiring policy-AD HOC Committee: Members are Deirdre Guyton, Fred Hardee, Marviene Johnson, Terry Thompson, Dr. Norman Mirsky and Dr. Howard Wade.
There will be updates following their meeting.
o Classified Mission Statement-Following a brief discussion of response to the idea, it was decided Lisa will send an email to explain the purpose and request feedback from all classified employees.