myBSC | Banner | Beckley | Helpdesk
Tuesday, December 06, 2016
Text Size

Registration – Dropping and Adding Classes

We hope that the information you are seeking can be found on this page. If you do not see the answer to your question below, please feel free to give our office a call at 304-327-4060 and we will be happy to assist you!

  • When is the last day to drop a class without a grade of “W” or to register for a class?
    Normally one week or five (5) days into the semester – Please refer to the Academic Calendar located in the current semester’s course schedule or the college’s current academic catalog.

  • Dropping a class with a grade of “W”
    If you withdrawal from a class during the allotted withdrawal period, the class dropped will appear as a “W” on your academic transcript. Refer to the current semester’s course schedule to see last day to withdrawal.

  • How do I drop a course or register for a course before the deadline?
    Obtain a Request for Change in Schedule (Drop/Add) form
    Forms are available in the Registrar’s Office. Complete the form and have your advisor and instructor sign the form.  If it is an online class and you cannot get the instructor signature, you may get the Dean of that college to sign in place of the instructor. Once form is completed and has the required signatures, return the form to the Registrar’s Office or the Counseling Center for processing. Please note; changes in student academic schedules may result in changes in student fees.

  • What if I want to withdraw from the College?
    A student that wishes to withdraw from the College must submit a Permit to Withdraw form. These forms are available in the Counseling Center, Room 307 in Conley Hall. Several signatures in addition to the Counseling Center’s are required to process the Permit to Withdraw form, including signatures from Financial Aid, Registrar’s Office, Business Office and the Library. After all signatures have been obtained, the form must be turned in at the Business Office in Conley Hall. Failure to not properly withdraw from the college will result in failing grades for that term. 

  • When do I register for classes?
    Pre-registration for currently enrolled students normally begins late October for the Spring Semester and in late March for the Summer and Fall terms. Students must see their Academic Advisor to approve their class schedule.  Class schedules can be entered by the Academic Advisor, Counseling Center, the Registrar’s Office, or through the Web Self Service (specific instructions for using the Web Self Service are contained in the class schedule and through the link on the Registrar’s Office website). Students are encouraged to utilize the Web Self Service whenever possible. Registration for new students should be done during orientation or through the Counseling Center located in room 305 in Conley Hall.

  • What if a class I want to register for is closed?
    The student must submit an add/drop form with signed permission of either the instructor or the school dean to the Registrar’s Office. Add/drop forms are available in the Registrar’s Office. 

  • How many hours do I need to be considered a full-time student?
    A minimum of 12 credit hours are needed to be considered full-time. Most students carry 15-18 credit hours per semester. Note, if you are planning to graduate with a Bachelors Degree in four years (eight semesters) then you will need to average 16 credit hours per semester, not including Developmental Classes. 

  • What are Developmental Classes and how do they count in my course load?
    Developmental Class requirements are set by the WV Higher Education Policy Commission and are based on placement and standardized test scores. Developmental Classes are numbered 100 and lower. Developmental Classes do not count as credit earned towards a degree, but are counted in the course load for billing and athletic, financial aid and immigration eligibility.

  • What if I want to register for more than 18 credit hours?
    Students may be granted permission to carry more than 18 hours. Approval must be obtained by the Vice President for Academic Affairs/Provost.