September 17, 2008
Classified Staff Council
SEPTEMBER 17, 2008
The Bluefield State College Classified Staff Council meeting was called to order at 1:37 pm in PE 202F by Lisa Neel, Chair, presiding.
Council Representatives Present: Lisa Neel, Chair Tom Harrison, Vice-Chair
Deirdre Guyton Jane Richardson Lori Dials Anita Barilla Fred Hardee
Marviene Johnson Vonda Wilson
Council Representatives Absent: Carol Baldwin
Classified Members Present: Michelle Noe Kathy Kessinger Frances Jones
Anita Davis Darlene Hager
Board of Governor Classified Rep: Daniel Frost (absent)*
Administrative Staff: Karen Harvey
The chair introduced Karen Harvey, Director of Institutional Advancement, proposed an endowed scholarship for dependents. This endowment came out of donations from the cabinet and Dr. Walker. The payout would be 4% or $200.00 for now. This can be used for tuition and/or books. Discussion followed.
o June 18, 2008—Change the spelling from Neal to Neel. Also, change $1200.00 to $1000.00. This is what personnel development will be dispensing. Motion to accept (Barilla/Hardee). Motion carried with the corrections.
o August 20, 2008—Motion to approve the minutes (Johnson/Richardson) was approved with no corrections.
• Personnel Study: The personnel study was discussed with apparent "outsourcing or downsizing." Discussion followed. There will be a meeting September 25, 2008 at West Virginia State University to discuss the study. The Classified Chair and ACCE Rep will be in attendance.
- Hiring Policy—There have been a few positions filled over the last few months. One thing that was questions was the size of the committee. A very lengthy discussion followed. Motion: That we contact the Department of Labor and request an an invitation to meet with us. (Richardson/Wilson) Motion carried.
- Flower Fund—Total in the treasure is $393.61 to date.
- Social Activities Committee—We have had the first breakfast and the second will be in the Basic Science Bldg.
- Board of Governors—No report
- ACCE—Asking each classified council to meet with our legislators.
- Personnel Development—continue to email and approve personnel development.
- Wellness Committee—Brian Delp run/walk September 27 at 9:00 am at Glenwood Park.
With no further business to come before the council, the meeting was adjourned at 3:30 pm.
Lisa Neel, Chair
Deirdre Guyton, Recording Secretary