myBSC | Banner | Beckley | Helpdesk
Monday, December 22, 2014
   
Text Size

Recommend Print

November 17, 2005

Categories 2005

Classified Staff Council of Bluefield State College Minutes

November 17, 2005

Members Present: Rick Akers, Carol Baldwin, Kim Daniels, Fred Hardee, Jeff Noe, Michele Noe, and Joanna Thompson.

Visitors Present: Tom Harrison, David Lord, and Kenny Mandeville.

Chair, Carol Baldwin called the meeting to order at 1:45 in the meeting room on the second floor of the Library.

I. Minutes - A motion to accept the meeting minutes from the October 13, 2005 meeting was made and seconded by Hardee/Thompson, all were in favor.

II. Old Business-There was no old business to be discussed.

III. New Business

A. David Lord-Mr. Lord began by advising the council that he will be holding a workshop on January 9, 2006 on Performance Management for all supervisors. In this workshop, he will review with them the Performance Appraisal process. He handed out a packet of papers to each member that consisted of a Pre-Appraisal Process Guide, Pre-Appraisal Worksheet, regular Appraisal form, Goal Worksheet, and Exemption Worksheet. He noted that the goal worksheet is not required to complete the process, but suggests it as a tool in assessing performance. He also stated that the process is much the same as it has been in the past, only the supervisor must now fill out the exemption sheet and have the employee initial next to each item. If the employee is not in agreement, that should be noted at this time. Mr. Lord said that it is his goal to have all PIQ’s reviewed every three years. There was much discussion about the process and changes that might need to be made.

B. Kim stated that after the last meeting, she spoke with Jim Nelson about the issue that was raised about advertising. She said that he said he would be glad to meet with the Council to discuss media relation issues.

IV. Reports

A. Board of Governors-Carol reported that there will be a new non-classified position advertised. This is for a Business Development Project Director who will work out of the AEP building. She also said that the colleges in the area usually rotate bringing in a nationally renowned speaker and that this year BSC will be having former Secretary of Homeland Defense Tom Ridge to speak. The tentative date for that event is March 30, 2006. The report was given that the Fire Marshall had closed 2 labs in the Basic

 

Science Building, one because of unmarked chemicals, the other due to a spill. There would be no fine assessed for this but the EPA will probably bill for travel costs (<$1000). There are currently 8 approved housing vendors so the recruiting plan includes students up to three hours driving distance. The head count is 1779, down 2 from last year. They are working with the Saudi Arabian embassy to bring in international students and currently have 20 applications. The board is considering a reduced tuition for students who would attend from bordering out-of-state counties only. College Summit produced 240 plus students from West Virginia alone. Sixty-three of these were identified as a match for recruiting by BSC. We have been given the information on these students so that we can recruit them. .

B. Personnel Development-Neither Lisa or Tracy were in attendance so there was no report.

C. ACCE-Fred reported that at the last ACCE meeting it was said that the PEIA 80/20 proposal was being considered basically a done deal. Anyone who wants to attend the forum can do so just to make our opinions heard. ACCE is preparing a brochure for legislators and a slide presentation on issues to be presented to HEPC in December.

D. Flower Fund-Anita was not able to attend the meeting and there was no report.

E. Holiday Lights Committee-Michele stated that Blain Braithwait with the South Bluefield Neighborhood Association said that the Merchants Association was planning a Community Christmas Tree on Bland Street and she did not want there to be any duplication or competition with this initiative, therefore she would not be addressing this further.

F. Social/Activities Committee-Joan was not in attendance and there was no report sent.

G. Wellness Committee-Lisa was not in attendance and there was no report sent.

V. Next meeting/Adjournment

The next meeting will be Thursday, December 8, 2005 in the second floor conference room of the Physical Education Building.

With no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned by Carol.

Minutes submitted by Michele Noe