myBSC | Banner | Beckley | Helpdesk
Friday, July 25, 2014
   
Text Size

Recommend Print

August 11, 2005

Categories 2005

Classified Staff Council of Bluefield State College Minutes

August 11, 2005

Chair, Carol Baldwin called the meeting to order at 2:00 in Conference Room on the ground floor of Basic Science.

Present: Rick Akers, Carol Baldwin, Joan Buchanan, Kim Daniels, Tracie Goss, Fred Hardee, Lisa Neel, Jeff Noe, Michele Noe, and Berreda Ratliff.

Staff Visitors: Heather Simmons and Bettie Wallace

A motion to accept the meeting minutes from the July 6, 2005 meeting was made and seconded by Noe/Hardee, all were in favor.

Carol, Chair, then asked for reports.

A. Board of Governors-Frosty was not in attendance but sent the following message: He would like everyone to join in sending recommendations of Anita Skeens-Caldwell and Ann Crowe for the BSC BOG to the Governor.

B. Personnel Development-Had no meeting to report on.

C. ACCE-Fred told the council that there was going to be a special meeting on Monday August 22 at Fairmont State College with the governor. If any staff member has any questions, they can forward them on to Fred who will make every attempt to raise them at this meeting. One item on the agenda for this meeting was a request of the governor for pay raises. The council agreed that we would support requesting a flat $2,000 across the board raise for all public employees. A representative of the Labor Union AFT was on campus this week asking everyone to sign a petition that they would be presenting to the Legislative committee asking for full funding of the Mercer pay scale.

D. Flower Fund-Anita was not able to attend this meeting but sent a message that the balance in the fund is $528.77.

E. Social Activities Committee-Carol spoke with Dr. Walker about reviving the staff picnic. He was very open to the possibility and would like some feedback about logistics. Carol will be sending out an informational sheet to all classified staff listing new members and contact info. Along with this sheet, she will send a survey about when and where staff would most like to see the picnic held. She was also told by Dr. Walker that he would be willing to give all staff BSC shirts. She will be presenting a proposal to that effect shortly, and may see if they can be given out at the picnic (another incentive to attend).

F. Holiday of Lights Committee-Michele stated that she is forming the committee and will be contacting the city next week to set up a date for the event.

G. Wellness Committee-Lisa has been working with Roy and the nursing department to set up Blood Sugar and Blood Pressure screenings in different buildings throughout the semester. The committee is also trying to get aerobics and water aerobics classes offered to staff.

Old Business:

A. Carol said that Sheila Johnson was in the process of reviewing the proposal concerning pay raises that the staff council previously submitted in response to a request by Dr. Walker. She wants to meet with the council to discuss issues concerning the raises. She was unable to compile this information for today’s meeting, but will work on trying to get this together for the next meeting.

New Business:

A. Carol said Raphael Heaggans had asked before he left for Staff Council to review the Sexual Harassment Policy. Carol handed copies to all present and asked them to review it for discussion at the next meeting.

B. Carol said Raphael Heaggans had asked before he left for Staff Council to review the Hiring Policy. Carol handed copies to all present and asked them to review it for discussion at the next meeting.

Other Business:

A. Carol said that David Lord, the new Human Resources Director, will be holding a workshop in September on writing a PIQ. She would like to invite him to our October meeting to get to know the members.

The next meeting will be Thursday September 8, 2005 at 2:00, location to be announced.

With no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned by Carol.

Minutes submitted by Michele Noe