April 21, 2011
BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE
Board of Governors
April 21, 2011
Members Present: Mr. Norris Kantor, Mr. Roger Topping, Ms. Anne Taylor, Mr. James Palmer, III, Mr. Richard Bezjak (via conference call), Ms. Lisa Neel, Mr. Craig Cardwell, Ms. Angie Lambert, Mr. Larry Ratliff, Mr. Robert Perkinson, Ms. Gloria Stephens
Members Absent: Mr. Aaron Saunders
Guests/Staff Present: Dr. Albert Walker, Mr. John Cardwell, Mr. Jim Nelson, Dr. Tom Blevins, Dr. Robin Ware, Ms. Shelia Johnson, Dr. Tracey Anderson, Ms. Sapphire Cureg, Ms. Karen Harvey, Ms. Christina Brogdon, Ms. Anita Barilla, Mr. Terry Brown, Mr. Carl Boyd, Ms. Deirdre Guyton, Ms. Sarita Rhonemus, Dr. David Haus, Mr. Tom Harrison, Mr. Orlando Henderson, Dr. Jim Voelker and one student from his American Government Class
Welcome and Call to Order – Chairman James Palmer, III
Mr. Palmer called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. in the Mountain View Student Residence and Conference Center.
Board Member Training Requirements – Mr. Palmer reminded the members of the training requirements to remain on the BOG and the opportunity that HEPC makes available in July or August at Stonewall Resort each year to satisfy those requirements.
Approval of the Consent Agenda – Chairman Palmer
A motion was made (RTopping/ATaylor) to approve the Consent Agenda. Motion carried.
Preparation for HLC Re-affirmation of Accreditation – Dr. Tracey Anderson
Dr. Anderson informed the group that the accreditation site visit will be from Sunday, September 11 through Wednesday, September 14, 2011. The information distributed in the BOG packets was reviewed and Dr. Anderson entertained questions concerning the accreditation. The completed document will be distributed to the Board prior to the visit.
Tuition and Fee Increases and Salary Increases – Finance Committee
Ms. Johnson called the group’s attention to the documents received prior to the meeting in the BOG packet and reviewed the information. Discussion followed. A motion was made (RPerkinson/LNeel) to approve the recommended resolution for tuition and fee increases for 2011-2012. Motion carried. A motion was made (RPerkinson/NKantor) to approve the recommended resolution for salary increases. Motion carried.
Naming Opportunities – Ms. Karen Harvey
Ms. Harvey called the group’s attention to the document outlining recommendations for the naming opportunities and stated that they have been reviewed and recommended by the BSC Foundation Board. A motion was made (NKantor/RTopping) to approve the recommendation. Motion carried.
Honorary Degree Recommendation – Mr. James Palmer, III
Mr. Palmer reviewed the information on Mr. Thomas Mack’s nomination for an Honorary Doctorate Award. A motion was made (LRatliff/ATaylor) to accept the nomination and award Mr. Thomas Mack an Honorary Doctorate. Motion carried.
Chairman Palmer introduced Mr. Orlando Henderson, President of the National Alumni Association, and Mr. Carl Boyd, Vice President of the National Alumni Association and invited them to address the group. Mr. Henderson spoke on the importance of the retention of students at BSC and ways that dormitories can play a role in improving retention. He stressed the need to encourage all students to become members of the Alumni Association and to continue to support BSC after graduation. Mr. Boyd expressed appreciation for the Honorary Doctorate Award to be presented to Mr. Mack and pledged his continued support for BSC.
- Mr. Nelson announced that US Senator Joe Manchin will be at Bluefield State College in the Othello Harris-Jefferson Student Center Hebert Gallery on April 26, 2011 for a Town Meeting.
- Ms. Johnson gave an update on Mahood Hall renovations and announced that the date of completion is August. She invited members of the Board to tour the building during the renovations. She informed the group that work will begin in Basic Science the week of graduation.
- Ms. Brogdon announced the Employee Recognition and Retirement Celebration Dinner on May 12, 2011 at 6:00 p.m. at Fincastle Country Club. She invited board members to attend.
- Dr. Walker called the group’s attention to the calendar of commencement activities and invited all board members to participate. He also shared information concerning the progress toward receiving university status.
- Ms. Harvey announced the Fourth Annual Gala Auction on April 29, 2011 at 7:00 p.m. at Fincastle Country Club. She invited all to attend.
Next Meeting Date – June 16, 2011 in the BSC Private Dining Room
With no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:15 p.m.