December 8, 2011
BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE
Board of Governors
Members Present: Mr. James Palmer, III, Mr. Norris Kantor (via conf. call), Ms. Anne Taylor, Mr. Richard Bezjak (via conf. call), Dr. Sarita Rhonemus, Mr. Jerome Powell, Dr. Norman Mirsky, Mr. Larry Ratliff, Mr. Robert Perkinson, Jr.
Members Absent: Mr. Roger Topping
Guests/Staff: Dr. Tom Blevins, Mr. John Cardwell, Mr. Jim Nelson, Dr. Lewis Jones, Ms. Shelia Johnson, Dr. Tracey Anderson, Ms. Sapphire Cureg, Ms. Karen Harvey, Ms. Christina Brogdon, Mr. Tom Cook, and Auditors Mr. Chris Deweese and Ms. Kelly Shaffer
Welcome, Chair's Remarks, and Call to Order – Chairman James J. Palmer, III
Mr. Palmer called the meeting to order in the BSC Othello Harris-Jefferson Student Center at 6:45 p.m. and asked for a moment of silent meditation for the victims of the Virginia Tech shooting earlier today.
President's Report – Dr. Thomas Blevins
- Final team report from HLC to Bluefield State College. Dr. Blevins reviewed some of the HLC's remarks and informed the group that BSC's reply is pending.
- Full ACBSP School of Business Accreditation announcement for ten years with no stipulations.
- Commended the School of Business on the W. Paul Cole School of Business dedication on Wednesday, December 7, 2011.
- School of Continuing Education creation is underway.
- Pursuit of university status continuing. With HEPC Chancellor Noland leaving, it has been announced that Dr. Paul Hill will become Interim Chancellor.
- Visiting donors with Mrs. Karen Harvey to increase college philanthropy.
- Athletic reforms are underway:
o Athletic consultants to be hired to review athletic program and make improvement recommendations.
o Two men's basketball coaches hired.
o Women's softball field in progress.
o Title IX fee increase in progress to hire women's sports' coaches.
o Attended WVIAC President's meeting; recommendation to allow BSC to correct deficiencies in the athletic program.
o Working on women's volleyball and softball coach.
- BANNER position in progress.
- Shott Foundation letter regarding an outstanding note of $2 million for the MountainView facility. Working with Mr. John Shott to discover information.
- Working with Bluefield Gas Company on use of the property adjacent to the college. Also working with Norfolk Southern to expand the college right-of-way by the railroad.
- Ongoing efforts to assist MountainView to increase income and reduce costs.
- Submitted names to the Governor's office of two individuals to fill vacancies on the BSC Board of Governors.
- Asked Dr. Cureg to help with developing a foreign student assistance group.
- Dr. Jones has been asked to develop an Academic Affairs Council. Dr. Blevins informed the group that one HLC comment concerned communications to constituents.
- Visiting faculty and touring all campus buildings.
- Visited with legislators attending the Mahood dedication.
- Will be going to Charleston to visit with legislators during the legislative sessions.
Approval of the Consent Agenda – Chairman Palmer
A motion was made (RPerkinson/ATaylor) to approve the Consent Agenda. Motion carried.
Discussion followed on the Enrollment and Financial Reports.
Audit Report – Mr. Chris Deweese and Ms. Kelly Shaffer – Suttle and Stallnaker
Mr. Chris Deweese and Ms. Kelly Shaffer from Suttle and Stallnaker were present to review the results of the audit with the Board. Ms. Shaffer discussed several items with the group and reported that the institution received a clean audit report. There were no internal control issues found. Discussion followed.
Non-Classified BANNER Position – Ms. Christina Brogdon
Ms. Brogdon discussed the need for an individual who has expert knowledge in BANNER to supplement information technology. She referenced a recommendation of the auditors to enhance the use of BANNER for accounting purposes and the indication from the HLC report for the need to improve the infrastructure associated with Distance Learning. She explained to the group that she is making the request to convert this position from a classified position to a non-classified position in order to pay a salary that will attract an individual highly qualified in using the BANNER system. Dr. Rhonemus, classified staff representative, read a statement from the Classified Council in opposition to the conversion of this position to a non-classified position. The Council also requested an updated Organizational Chart that would demonstrate the changes within ITC and Computer Services. Discussion followed.
A motion was made (NKantor/ATaylor) to create the BANNER position as a non-classified position. Motion carried with Dr. Rhonemus opposed.
A motion was made (RPerkinson/LRatliff) to go into executive session at 8:15 a.m. Motion carried
A motion was made (RPerkinson/JPowell) to return to regular session at 8:30 p.m. Motion carried.
A motion was made (ATaylor/NMirsky) to allow the college the authority to proceed with a lease on the gas company property after seeking appropriate council. Motion carried.
Next Meeting Date – February 16, 2012
With no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:35 p.m.