August 21, 2008
BOARD OF GOVERNORS
Board of Governors
August 21, 2008
Members Present: Mr. John Shott, Mr. Norris Kantor, Mr. James Palmer, III, Mr. Daniel Frost (via conference call), Mr. Erik Guyton, Ms. Angie Lambert, Mr. Sylvester Myers
Members Absent: Ms. Gloria Stephens, Mr. Larry Morhous, Ms. Anne Crowe
Staff/Guests: Dr. Albert Walker, Mr. John Cardwell, Mr. Jim Nelson, Dr. Tom Blevins, Dr. Don Smith, Ms. Shelia Johnson, Dr. Tracey Anderson, Ms. Leah Taylor, Mr. Frank Hart, Dr. Robert Riggins and the BSC Robotics Team
Call to Order – Chairman James Palmer, III
Chairman James Palmer called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. in the BSC Othello Harris-Jefferson Student Center Private Dining Room.
Approval of the Minutes – May 15, 2008
Mr. Palmer asked for a motion to approve or for corrections to the June 19, 2008 minutes. Mr. Frost questioned the make-up of the Special Committee appointed at the April meeting and the report mentioned in the June minutes. A motion was made (JShott/NKantor) to approve the minutes. Motion carried. Mr. Frost objected to the approval to the minutes. The April minutes will be reviewed for the appropriate membership of the Special Committee and the minutes amended if necessary.
Administration of the Oath of Office to New Board Member
Notary Public Anita Barilla administered the Oath of Office for Mr. Erik Guyton, elected student representative.
Election of Board Officers
Mr. Palmer thanked the group for the opportunity to serve as Chair for the past year but asked that, due to time and responsibility constraints, a new chair be appointed. Mr. Palmer opened the floor for nominations and the election results are as follows:
Chair – Mr. Norris Kantor
Vice Chair – Mr. James Palmer
Academic Affairs – Dr. Don Smith
Special Presentation by Robotics Team
Dr. Smith introduced the BSC Robotics Team and informed the group that the Team recently won a World Championship competition. Engineering professor and Robotics advisor, Dr. Robert Riggins reviewed the history of the Robotics program and shared video footage of the competition.
Chairman Kantor called the group’s attention to Policy #47 – BSC Archives and Records Management Policy and informed the group that no comments were received. A motion was made (JShott/ALambert) to approve Policy #47. Motion carried.
Financial and Administrative Affairs – Ms. Shelia Johnson
- Campus Facilities Priorities List -- Ms. Johnson distributed a document entitled “Division Summary of Capital Expenditure Projects” and discussed the document with the group. She informed the group that Board approval is required before submission to HEPC. Motion was made (JShott/ALambert) for approval. Motion carried.
- Campus Audit Activities – Ms. Johnson reported that Legislative Auditors are still on the campus and will be releasing a report on athletics soon. The Financial Audits and the Financial Aid Audits will begin the end of September.
- Mr. Frost commented that the enrollment numbers are up and asked if the classified salary schedule will be fully funded soon. Ms. Johnson discussed comparisons with other institutions and made the recommendation that the salary policy that is in place be followed which indicates that, provided funding is available over the course of a five year period, the institution would fully fund the classified salary schedule by FY 2010. Mr. Frost asked that fully funding the salary schedule be placed on the October meeting Agenda. Mr. Kantor asked that Ms. Johnson be prepared to give an update at the October meeting.
President’s Report – Dr. Albert L. Walker
- Board of Governors Summit at Stonewall Resort
- Preparation for re-affirmation of accreditation. Dr. Walker informed the group that the last institutional accreditation was in 2001. The institution will be implementing the Strategic Plan and documenting all meetings and events. The purpose it to show how well the institution is preparing students in academic areas. A calendar will be developed for all meetings and accreditation activities. A steering committee and appropriate sub-committees will be formed. Dr. Walker reviewed the various events that will take place during the next couple of years in preparation for the Higher Learning Commission accreditation visit.
Student Affairs and Enrollment Management – Mr. John Cardwell
- Headcount for fall 2007 was 1,801 and currently for 2008 the headcount is 1,913.
- FTE on this date last year was 1,590 and today FTE is 1,687.
- BSC joined with the City of Bluefield to welcome the students back to the area. Plans are to increase the support and collaboration between BSC and the City of Bluefield with future events.
- New admissions recruiter will begin September 1, 2008 to work with the counties in southwest Virginia. Ms. Melissa Gattuso will be working with the community colleges to recruit juniors and seniors. The fall recruiting season starts September 8, 2008.
- Dr. Walker called the group’s attention to the Strategic Plan booklet included in the Board of Governors packet and informed the group that the committee will be working on the mission statement. Mr. Kantor stressed that various issues discussed over the past few months are addressed in the Strategic Plan and encouraged all Board members to read the Plan and be ready for a discussion at the next meeting.
- Mr. Nelson informed the group that BSC has once again been selected by US News and World Report as one of America’s Best Colleges.
- Mr. Shott commented that BSC has long been known for technological programs and suggested that, due to the focus on energy, the institution explore programs on wind power and energy conservation. He asked that research be done on the possibilities available for programs of this type. Discussion followed.
Next Meeting – October 16, 2008 -- Location to be announced.
With no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:35 p.m.