myBSC | Banner | Beckley | Helpdesk
Thursday, July 31, 2014
   
Text Size

Recommend Print

March 15, 2007

Categories 2007

BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE
BOARD OF GOVERNORS
March 15, 2007

Members Present: Ms. Gloria Stephens, Mr. Larry Morhous, Mr. Norris Kantor, Mr. Jeffrey Forlines, Ms. Anne Crowe, Mr. Daniel Frost, Mr. Kevin Pruitt, Dr. Norman Mirsky (via conference phone)
Members Absent: Mr. John Shott, Dr. Louis Aikens, Dr. Lyn Guy, The Reverend James Palmer, III
Guests Present: Dr. Albert Walker, Ms. Anita Barilla, Mr. John Cardwell, Mr. Jim Nelson, Dr. Don Smith, Ms. Shelia Johnson, Dr. Tracey Anderson, Ms. Dedriell Taylor, Ms. Karen Harvey, Ms. Angie Lambert, Ms. Deirdre Guyton

Call to Order
 Chairman Norris Kantor called the meeting to order at 6:45 p.m. in the Private Dining Room of the Bluefield State College Othello Harris-Jefferson Student Center.
Approval of the Minutes – February 15, 2007 Meeting
 Mr. Kantor asked for corrections or a motion to approve the minutes of the February 15, 2007 meeting. A motion was made (LMorhous/JForlines) to approve the minutes as presented. Motion carried.
President’s Report – Dr. Albert Walker
- Brick Sale Update – current contributions total $7,200. Ms. Deirdre Guyton will be contacting various organizations to purchase a brick.
- Tom Joyner – contributions to date are $96,535.44.
- The Upper-Classman II – Dr. Walker informed the group that he called the Attorney General’s office to find out what was the level of liability encountered by the college as a result of the Bluefield State College name on the Upper-Classman II sign.  He reported that the Upper-Classman II should not use the institution’s name. The college does not have a registered trademark but is a long standing institution and the Board has the right to refuse to allow the name to be used. The discussion brought out consideration of the possibility of being included in a lawsuit if a problem should occur at the Upper-Classman II. The Attorney General’s office said the possibility does exist for BSC to be included in legal actions. Having the name on the Upper-Classman II sign implies endorsement of the facility. The group reviewed a handout from the BSC website that potential landlords complete and submit for approval of student housing which includes a disclaimer for BSC.  The group decided that Mr. Cardwell should provide copies of all leases to the Board for examination of the wording in each agreement. The group discussed the possibility of requiring the property owners to include BSC on their liability insurance with the wording of the lease agreements stating that the college will not be held liable.  Mr. Morhous suggested that Mr. Kantor and Mr. John Shott contact Mr. Dennis Johnson of the Upper-Classman II to discuss the removal of the Bluefield State College name from the sign. Discussion followed.
- Dr. Walker discussed the requested state appropriations to offset funds lost from the reduction of Title III funds. No documentation has been received from the state, but information received to this point is that there will be a special funding supplement for BSC from the Governor’s office. Mr. Frost asked about information on the baseline budget for BSC. Information will be distributed when received.
Legislative Update – Mr. Jim Nelson
- Mr. Nelson reviewed bills passing during this legislative session. He discussed the composition of the Boards of Governors and the terms of various members. Discussion followed.
Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Update – Mr. John Cardwell
- Mr. Cardwell updated the group on the enrollment as compared with last year’s enrollment numbers.
- Preparations are being made for pre-registration for the fall.
- 2007 Yearbook distributed to the group.
- Distributed the Bluefieldian campus newspaper.
Financial and Administrative Affairs Update – Ms. Shelia Johnson
- Ms. Johnson discussed the legislative process for budget approval and the expected funding for BSC.
- Tuition and fees requests are due to HEPC on April 7, 2007 to be approved at the HEPC meeting in April. Ms. Johnson recommended a special meeting to be held early in April for BOG approval of the tuition and fees and for faculty and staff salary. Discussion followed. Mr. Kantor informed the group a special meeting of the Board of Governors will be set up as soon as Ms. Johnson gets the funding information.
- GASBY -- $515 monthly assessment for each employee enrolled in the PEIA health insurance will start July 1, 2007. No agency will be required to pay this until there is an adequate funding source identified. Ms. Johnson reported that she has not yet seen anything in writing regarding this matter.
- Presidential Contract – Ms. Johnson announce that any changes made to the presidential contract have to be submitted to HEPC by July in order to be considered in the HEPC August meeting.
- Ms. Johnson reported that work has begun on pay raises. Mr. Frost asked if the raises will be received by July 1, but Ms. Johnson had no information to report at this time. Discussion followed.
- Campus Projects – the final walk through for the signage was done last week and minor corrections have been made.  Ms. Johnson reported that comments from the community for the campus improvements have been very positive. Progress on the ADA project has been slowed some due to the subsidence of Hill Street. The contractor is correcting the problem at his expense. The generator in Dickason Hall is fixed and Ms. Johnson reported that the insurance company has been notified. She has documentation from a professional source outside the college that the problem was not the fault of the college but that of the contractor. She projected that the cost will be approximately $200,000.


Academic Affairs Update – Dr. Don Smith
 Dr. Smith reported that three faculty members will be attending workshops at Penn State to learn how to implement nanotechnology into our institution’s curriculum.  An Introduction to Nanotechnology course has been added to the BSC fall course schedule.
Multicultural Affairs Update – Ms. Dedriell Taylor
- Pioneers in Education Award – the institution will be honoring outstanding educators who are graduates of Bluefield State College. Ms. Peggy Turnbull, BSC Archivist, will be interviewing the three ladies chosen, with Mr. Jerry Conner videotaping the interviews for an oral history of their lives and experiences.  There will be a reception on April 25, 2007 to honor these outstanding ladies with video clips of the interviews shown during the event.
Institutional Advancement and Planning Update – Ms. Karen Harvey
- Ms. Harvey reported applying for additional tax credits for the Neighborhood Investment Program (NIP). In order to use these credits the institution will need to raise $30,000 by the end of June.
- Department of Transportation Grant – is requesting $350,000 for planning of the Pulaski Street upgrade. This funding would improve access along the lower portion of the campus.
- Ms. Harvey informed the group that a donor has agreed to give $100,000 over the next five years. This contribution will be received in $20,000 amounts each year and will be unrestricted.
Other
- Mr. Kantor reminded the group that Mr. Cardwell has been asked to bring the contracts and lease agreements for student housing back to the Board for examination.
- Trademarks – this is worthwhile for the institution and does not require any legislative action. Ms. Johnson informed the group that there is an initial cost and then anyone who uses the BSC name will have to pay for the use of the name unless special permission is granted. Discussion followed.
- Presidential Quadrennial Evaluation – Dr. Lester Newman, Mr. John Barnes, and Mr. Norris Kantor conducted the Quadrennial Evaluation on Thursday, March 8 and Friday, March 9, 2007. Dr. Newman will prepare a formal report within thirty days and will send the report to Mr. Kantor to be shared with the BOG and the President. The President will have two weeks to present comments to the Board Chair and the comments will be forwarded to the Board members. Then the process and the comments will be discussed with the Board.
- Mr. Kantor informed the group that he will meet with Mr. John Shott on the issue of the use of the BSC name on the Upper-Classman II sign. The agreement with the Shott Foundation concerning the facility will be examined. The group discussed the liability of the institution and protection for the college.
- Mr. Pruitt asked about the Director of the BSC Research and Development Corporation’s contract being extended. Dr. Walker informed the group that the Director’s salary is coming from the R&D budget and no longer from Title III.
- Mr. Kantor announced that Dr. Louis Aikens has tendered his resignation from the BOG pending the appointment of Mr. Joe Lewis by the Governor. Mr. Kantor reported that he has sent a letter advising the Governor that Mr. Lewis is qualified to be a Board member. The group is now waiting for word from the Governor regarding the appointment. Dr. Aikens will continue to serve until the Governor makes the appointment. 
- Ms. Crowe asked for a follow-up on the idea of a group to look at the student housing leases. She suggested Mr. Morhous, Mr. Kantor, Mr. Shott, and Mr. Cardwell. Mr. Kantor expressed a desire to meet with Mr. John Shott first to determine what agreements have been put into place with the Upper-Classman II. Mr. Kantor appointed a committee to look into this matter. The committee members were Mr. Norris Kantor, Mr. John Shott, Mr. Larry Morhous, and Ms. Gloria Stephens.
Next regular meeting date will be April 19, 2007
 Mr. Kantor reminded the group that a special called meeting will be necessary to discuss tuition and fees when the information is ready.
 With no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:05 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Anita Barilla