News & Events
BLUEFFIELD STATE COLLEGE
Board of Governors
February 17, 2011
Members Present: Mr. Norris Kantor (via conf. call), Mr. Roger Topping, Ms. Anne Taylor, Mr. James Palmer III, Mr. Craig Cardwell, Ms. Angie Lambert, Mr. Aaron Saunders, Mr. Robert Perkinson
Member Absent: Mr. Richard Bezjak, Ms. Gloria Stephens, Ms. Lisa Neel, Mr. Larry Ratliff
Staff/Guests: Dr. Albert Walker, Ms. Anita Barilla, Mr. John Cardwell, Mr. Jim Nelson, Dr. Tom Blevins, Dr. Robin Ware, Ms. Shelia Johnson, Dr. Tracey Anderson, Dr. Sapphire Cureg, Ms. Christina Brogdon, Ms. Sarita Rhonemus, Ms. Deirdre Guyton, Mr. Tom Harrison
Welcome and Call to Order – Chairman James J. Palmer, III
Mr. Palmer called the meeting to order at 6:45 p.m. in the BSC Othello Harris-Jefferson Student Center.
Introduction of Interim VP Academic Affairs/Provost and Beckley Center Coordinator – Dr. Walker introduced Dr. Robin Ware and reviewed some of her responsibilities on the Bluefield and Beckley campuses.
Board Member Training Requirements- Dr. Walker called the group’s attention to the chart in the Board packet concerning Board member training. He stressed the importance for all Board members to attend training opportunities.
New Board Member: Mr. Norris Kantor – Dr. Walker informed the group of the appointment of Mr. Norris Kantor and welcomed him to the group. (Mr. Kantor attended the meeting via conference call.)
Approval of Consent Agenda – Chairman Palmer
A motion was made (ATaylor/RTopping) to approve the Consent Agenda. Motion carried.
Dr. Walker discussed several pieces of information distributed to the BOG members:
- Status of 2010 – 2011 Goals and Objectives.
- Bluefield State College has been named the #1 College in the area by the readers of the Bluefield Daily Telegraph.
- Chart of Institutional Board of Governors
- Chart of BSC Chain of Command
- WV Chancellor’s Diversity Initiative – Dr. Walker stressed the need to address the issue of diversity.
Ms. Johnson was asked to review the Budget vs Actual (State Accounts) report contained in the BOG packet and tell the group how the numbers are determined. Ms. Johnson went over all the information and the calculations for the group. The encumbrances will be included in future reports to make the information easy to follow. Questions on the Federal Financial Aid Balances Report were also answered.
An update on nanotechnology was given and the cost associated with the program and the need for trained faculty was discussed. Funding is being provided to the bigger universities and BSC is not eligible to compete. Work is being done in STEM Research (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathmatics). It was reported that Senator Jay Rockefeller will be visiting BSC on Saturday, February 26. Representatives from Shepherd and WVU will be in attendance. The Senator will be observing the BSC robotics program in action to determine where there may be common ground for collaborations specifically with WVU.
Questions were asked about collaboration with Southern WV Community College. The following partnerships are in progress:
- Elementary Education Program with Southern will be essentially like a two-plus-two. The first two years will be taken at Southern and the final two years will be primarily at Southern but with BSC faculty. A time will be set for signing the MOU.
- Criminal Justice collaborative program is moving forward.
- Ms. Melissa Haye, Director of BSC Rad Tech, has been working with the director of the Radiology Program at Southern to tie BSC students into their Computer Tomography Program and Southern students into the BSC four-year Rad Science degree. This partnership is in the early stages at this time.
- Business Administration program has not been finalized yet.
Ms. Johnson reviewed the audit information contained in the Board packet. Discussion followed.
Next Meeting Date – April 21, 2011
MountainView Student Residence and Conference Center
With no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:15 p.m.