News & Events
BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE
Board of Governors
Members Present: Ms. Gloria Stephens, Mr. Norris Kantor, Mr. Roger Topping, Ms. Anne Taylor, Mr. James Palmer, III, Mr. Richard Bezjak, Dr. Sarita Rhonemus, Dr. Norman Mirsky, Mr. Robert Perkinson, Jr.
Members Absent: Mr. Jerome Powell, Mr. Larry Ratliff
Guests/Staff: Dr. Tom Blevins, Mr. John Cardwell, Mr. Jim Nelson, Dr. Tracey Anderson, Ms. Karen Harvey, Ms. Christina Brogdon, Mr. Tom Cook, Ms. Anita Barilla, Ms. Deirdre Guyton, Ms. Sherri Williams, Mr. Mike Lilly, Mr. Neal Knox
Welcome, Chair's Remarks, and Call to Order – Chairman James J. Palmer, III
Chairman James Palmer called the meeting to order at 5:00 p.m. at Fincastle Country Club in Bluefield, VA. He welcomed the group to the meeting and introduced Mr. Mike Lilly, Bluefield State College representative for the Advisory Council of Faculty. Mr. Lilly discussed the purpose of the ACF and the election of Council members. He distributed the annual goals and discussed an informational handout with the group. The ACF discusses issues and concerns of faculty with the State Legislature.
President's Report – Dr. Tom Blevins
Dr. Blevins distributed a handout listing items of importance and issues that should be addressed. A few of the topics were:
- School of Continuing Education – expressed a desire to grow headcount
- The Institution had a successful North Central visit
- The School of Business had a successful ACBSP accreditation visit
- NCATE coming up in the spring
- Want to add undergraduate majors
- College-wide goal is to acquire university status. Chancellor Noland will be bringing this before the Higher Education Policy Commission in December. Dr. Blevins encouraged the group to call Policy Commission Board members and request that they vote for university status for BSC. BOG members asked for discussion points to make sure all information is correct. Discussion followed.
- Grow campus diversity – Dr. Blevins wants to encourage more diverse groups of students to enroll at BSC.
- Support Institutional Advancement and Planning by working to increase donations to the college.
- Balancing the budget at Mountain View.
Approval of Consent Agenda – Chairman Palmer
The Consent Agenda contained the following:
- Minutes from the August 18 and the Special September 12, 2011 meeting.
- Enrollment Report as of October 13, 2011
- Financial Report
- Budget vs Actual (State Account)
- Federal Financial Aid Balances
- Encumbrances Summary
- Cabinet Reports
- Media Relations
- Institutional Advancement and Planning
- Institutional Research and Effectiveness
- Assurance Section – Report of Comprehensive Evaluation Visit
- HLC Substantive Change Recommendation Form: Embedded Change Review
A motion was made (ATaylor/NKantor) to approve the Consent Agenda. Motion carried.
Institutional Compact 2007- 2012 – October 1, 2011 Update
The Institutional Compact was provided to Board members prior to the meeting for their review. Dr. Anderson answered questions concerning the material. A motion was made (RPerkinson/RTopping) to approve the Compact updates. Motion carried.
Report of Comprehensive Evaluation Visit
Mr. Kantor called the group's attention to the teaching of online courses and the comments made by the HLC accreditation team. Dr. Blevins reported that he plans to hire a consultant from WVU who will be looking specifically at Student Affairs and Financial Affairs for serving online students. Discussion followed. A request was made for a copy of the response to the HLC Report be provided to the Board.
A motion was made (RTopping/NKantor) to go into executive session at 6:10 p.m. Motion carried.
A motion was made (NKantor/RTopping) to return to regular session at 6:20 p.m. Motion carried.
A motion was made (NKantor/RPerkinson) for Dr. Tom Blevins to continue to serve on the Bluefield City Board of Directors while serving as President of BSC. Motion carried.
Next Meeting Date – December 8, 2011
Bluefield State College Private Dining Room at 6:45 p.m.
With no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 6:30 p.m.