News & Events
BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE
Board of Governors
August 27, 2009
Members Present: Ms. Gloria Stephens, Rev. James Palmer, III, Dr. Lyn Guy, Ms. Lisa Neel, Mr. Craig Cardwell, Mr. Sylvester Myers, Mr. Larry Ratliff
Members Absent: Mr. Larry Morhous, Mr. Norris Kantor, Ms. Anne Taylor, Ms. Angie Lambert
Guests/Staff: Dr. Albert Walker, Mr. John Cardwell, Mr. Jim Nelson, Dr. Tom Blevins, Dr. Don Smith, Ms. Shelia Johnson, Dr. Tracey Anderson, Ms. Karen Harvey, Ms. Christina Brogdon, Mr. Terry Brown, Ms. Anita Barilla, Ms. Sarita Rhonemus, Ms. Jane Richardson
Call to Order
Chairman James Palmer called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. in the BSC Private Dining Room and welcomed all in attendance. Dr. Walker introduced the new Director of Human Resources, Ms. Christina Brogdon, and reviewed her credentials with the group.
Dr. Walker called the group’s attention to several items included in the Board’s information and discussed them briefly.
- SB 373 relating to the training of Board members. Training opportunities will be held by HEPC.
- Open Governmental Proceedings Act and information on meetings.
- Institutional Core Goals and Objectives.
Mr. Palmer asked for a motion to approve the Consent Agenda. A motion was made (LGuy/LRatliff) for approval. Motion carried.
Oath of Office for new Board Members
The Oath of Office was administered to Mr. Craig Cardwell, Student Representative, and Ms. Lisa Neel, Classified Staff Representative, by Ms. Anita Barilla, Notary Public.
Finance Committee Report
- Mr. Larry Ratliff reviewed the Legislative Auditors Report. He discussed some of the issues sited in the Report and how those issues are being resolved. External auditors have been hired to review various institutional processes and make recommendations for improvement. Training of the campus community on the revised procedures will be conducted when the process is finished.
- Ms. Johnson distributed a sheet comparing salaries from 2005 to 2009 and reviewed the information with the group.
- Ms. Johnson reviewed the policies and informed the group that the revisions are a result of the Legislative Audit. She asked the Board to approve the following policies for a 30-day comment period:
o Policy #7 Assessment, Payment, and Refund of Fees
o Policy #29 Purchasing
o Policy #34 Disposition of Obsolete and Unusable Equipment, Surplus Supplies and Other Unneeded Materials for Bluefield State College
A motion was made (LNeel/CCardwell) to approve all three policies for a 30-day comment period. Motion carried.
Facilities Priority List
- Ms. Johnson reviewed the Facilities Priority List received by the Board prior to the meeting, and asked for approval to send the list to HEPC. A motion was made (LRatliff/LNeel) to approve the Facilities Priority List. Motion carried.
Next meeting Date – October 15, 2009
With no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 7:35 p.m.