News & Events
BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE
Board of Governors
December 11, 2008
Members Present: Mr. John H. Shott, Mr. Larry Morhous, Mr. Norris Kantor, Mr. James Palmer III, Mr. Daniel Frost, Mr. Erik Guyton, Ms. Angie Lambert, Mr. Larry Ratliff
Member Absent: Ms. Gloria Stephens, Ms. Anne Crowe, Dr. Lyn Guy, Mr. Sylvester Myers
Guests/Staff: Dr. Albert Walker, Mr. John Cardwell, Mr. Jim Nelson, Dr. Tom Blevins, Dr. Don Smith, Ms. Shelia Johnson, Dr. Tracey Anderson, Dr. Sapphire Cureg, Ms. Karen Harvey, Dr. Bernie Dragich, Dr. Tesfaye Belay
Call to Order – Chairman Norris Kantor
Chairman Norris Kantor called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. in the BSC Othello Harris-Jefferson Student Center. Mr. Kantor read a letter from Mr. John Shott resigning his position on the Board of Governors due to his election to the West Virginia House of Representatives. Mr. Shott expressed appreciation for the opportunity to serve on the Board and vowed support for Bluefield State College during his service in the Legislature.
Presentation by Dr. Tesfaye Belay, Associate Professor of Biology
Dr. Belay made a presentation on research being done on health issues through the Minority Heath Institute, WV INBRE, and the NASA-WV Space Consortium.
Approval of Consent Agenda- Chairman Norris Kantor
A motion was made (LMorhous/LRatliff) to adopt the Consent Agenda. Mr. Frost opposed adoption of the Consent Agenda so the group reviewed each item.
- A motion was made (LMorhous/EGuyton) to approve the minutes of the October 16, 2008 meeting. Motion carried.
- Motion to approve the President’s Report (JPalmer/LRatliff). Motion carried.
- Motion to approve Enrollment Report (JPalmer/LRatliff). Motion carried.
- Motion to approve College Audit Update (LMorhous/EGuyton). Mr. Frost opposed approval of the College Audit Update and discussed the funding of the classified salary schedule. Discussion followed.
- Motion to approve Cabinet Reports (DFrost/LMorhous). Motion carried.
Faculty Resolutions for Consideration by the BSC Board of Governors – Ms. Angie Lambert
- 1) Faculty Senate requests that the BOG establish a procedure that one half of the members of a Faculty Search Committee come from the School/discipline that is interviewing prospective faculty members – Discussion followed. The Board asked that the makeup of faculty interview committees at other institutions be researched and a report presented at the next meeting for further discussion.
- 2) Faculty Senate asks that future advertisements of potential faculty vacancies be written by the Dean and members of the school which has the vacancy in conjunction with the Academic Vice President. Then, reviewed by the Human Resources office for EOC compliance – Discussion followed. The Board asked that the wording “in conjunction with the Academic Vice President and the President of the college” be added.
- 3) Faculty Senate requests the potential job vacancies be posted prominently on the Bluefield State College website – reviewed in Ms. Leah Taylor’s Human Resources Report.
- 4) Faculty Senate requests that the Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) procedure be promptly implemented by Bluefield State College so the Supervising physician can sign it and the AED units can be in place – Discussion followed.
A motion was made (LMorhous/DFrost) to approve numbers two, three, and four with the changes noted and to table number one. Mr. Kantor asked that the implemented procedures for the AED be brought to the next meeting. Motion carried.
Mr. Frost made a motion to go into executive session. With no second the motion failed.
- Resolutions were presented to the Faculty Senate Chair and a representative for the Classified Council in recognition and appreciation for work done for both New River Community and Technical College and Bluefield State College.
- Mr. Frost reported that NRCTC is offering classes on the BSC campus that the institution receives no money. The students are full time. He displayed the current course schedule documenting the statements made.
- Mr. Frost reported that the Board voted on November 17, 2005 that the individual that is the director the Research and Development Corp. Business Development Project will be funded for one year. He informed the group that three years later the institution is still paying his salary and asked why. He stated that the document stated this would be paid from Title III funds. The group was told that the goal was to generate enough income from projects and grants to be self-sufficient. Mr. Kantor stated that it is his understanding that the Corp. is sufficiently funded and is now paying the salary. Mr. Morhous made a recommendation that Mr. Ratliff and Mr. Kantor work with Ms. Johnson to address some of the issues Mr. Frost has brought up and discuss them in the February meeting. Mr. Kantor reminded the group that a committee has been appointed but has not been able to meet due to the presence of the numerous audits taking place on the campus. He asked that the committee meet with Ms. Johnson prior to the February meeting.
Next Meeting Date – February 12, 2009
With no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:45 p.m.