News & Events
BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE
BOARD OF GOVERNORS
November 15, 2007
Members Present: Mr. John Shott, Mr. Larry Morhous, Mr. Norris Kantor, Mr. Jeffrey Forlines, The Reverend James Palmer, III, Mr. Daniel Frost, Ms. Ashley Froy
Members Absent: Ms. Gloria Stephens, Ms. Anne Crowe, Dr. Lyn Guy, Ms. Angie Lambert
Staff/Guests: Dr. Albert Walker, Mr. John Cardwell, Mr. Jim Nelson, Dr. Don Smith, Ms. Shelia Johnson, Dr. Tracey Anderson, Ms. Karen Harvey, Ms. Anita Barilla, Ms. Lisa Neel, Dr. Bernie Dragich, Ms. Carol Cofer, Ms. Sara King (2nd year Nursing student) and Ms. Erin Jones (1st year Nursing student)
The group started the evening by enjoying a special presentation from Mr. Donald Kensinger and the BSC Community Choir.
Call to Order
Chairman James Palmer called the meeting to order at 7:30 p.m. in the Bluefield State College Othello Harris-Jefferson Student Center Private Dining Room.
Approval of Minutes – October 19, 2007
Mr. Palmer asked for corrections or a motion to approve the October 18, 2007 minutes. A motion was made (LMorhous/NKantor) that the minutes be accepted as presented. Motion carried.
Presidents Report – Dr. Albert Walker
- Dr. Walker recognized Ms. Carol Cofer and the BSC Nursing students who assisted with the Toys for Tots toy distribution during the recent visit from Dr. Phil to kick off this year’s Toys for Tots campaign. All who participated received certificates of appreciation for their efforts during this event.
- Dr. Walker called the group’s attention to an invitation to join BSC employees for this year’s Christmas Dinner on December 7, 2007 at David’s at the Club.
- Dr. Walker reviewed the 2006-2007 College Goals and how each had been met during the year. Mr. Frost discussed the need to make adjustments for students facing hardships due to the increasing gas prices. He informed the group that students are already pre-registering for spring classes so decisions need to be made immediately. Dr. Walker discussed conversations with the Chancellor and Ms. Kay Goodwin to address this pressing issue. He reported that the administration is looking at ways to modify the current class schedule to allow students a Monday/Wednesday and Tuesday/Thursday schedule.
- Mr. Frost asked for information concerning the additional funds awarded to BSC for the loss of Title III funds along with the need for funds in the same amount to be added to the college’s base budget. Dr. Walker reported that the Chancellor has expressed support for the addition to the base budget in future years. Presently the added funding is a one time allocation.
Financial and Administrative Affairs – Ms. Shelia Johnson
- College Financial Reports – Ms. Johnson called the group’s attention to the financial material distributed prior to the meeting and reviewed the information. Discussion followed.
- Large and unusual transactions – Ms. Johnson reported that a purchase order was issued for computers from Dell. She explained that a special price at the end of October made it necessary to make the purchase immediately in order to save a considerable amount of money.
- Transformer problem in Dickason Hall earlier this year with a bill of $157,000 – Ms. Johnson reported that the insurance company sent the college a settlement check for $154, 996.
- Proposed salary increases – After looking at the revenue from tuition and fees, Ms. Johnson asked that effective December 1, 2007 (with the exception that if the paperwork cannot be submitted to the State Budget Office in time), additional annual pay increases for faculty, classified and non-classified equal to the increases given October 1, 2007 be given. For employment changes such as pay grade changes, the amount would be adjusted accordingly. Discussion followed. A motion was made (JForlines/NKantor) to accept the proposal for salary increases. Motion carried.
Student Affairs and Enrollment Management – Mr. John Cardwell
- Mr. Cardwell reported that spring pre-registration enrollment (headcount) is 1,085 compared to 1,083 at this time last year.
- Current fall paid enrollment is 1,823 with the anticipated ending enrollment to be 2,000.
- Will be doing a follow-up with students who have not pre-registered with the alert that class scheduling might have some changes over the next few weeks due to decisions to modify class schedules in response to rising gas prices. This pre-registration must be done in order to process financial aid.
- Mr. Matt Smith – former BSC student was selected as WV TRIO Achiever of the Year.
- Mr. Cardwell called the group’s attention to a handout on Enrollment Trends. The trend for the border county student enrollment is to continue to grow. He reported work being done with area community colleges and high schools in the area.
Academic Affairs – Dr. Don Smith
- Dr. Bernie Dragich, Faculty Senate Chair, presented two resolutions to the Board: Resolution I – The creation of a BSC policy for procedures of grant submissions. Resolution II – The safety of students, faculty, and staff be of paramount importance to BSC. Discussion followed. A motion was made (LMorhous/NKantor) to support both resolutions. Motion carried.
Institutional Research and Effectiveness – Dr. Tracey Anderson
- Strategic Plan Update - Dr. Anderson updated the group on the progress being done on the Strategic Plan. She discussed the need for better attendance at committee meetings and invited the Board members to participate.
Chairman Palmer informed the group that no Executive session is needed at this time.
Mr. Nelson reviewed various activities taking place on the campus and the success of the Sylvester Myers Executive in Residence program.
Next meeting Date
A motion was made (NKantor/DFrost) to cancel the December meeting. Motion carried. Next meeting will be January 17, 2008.
With no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 9:06 p.m.