News & Events
BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE
BOARD OF GOVERNORS
May 17, 2007
Members Present: Dr. Louis Aikens, Ms. Gloria Stephens (via conference phone), Mr. Larry Morhous, Mr. Norris Kantor, Mr. Jeffrey Forlines, Ms. Anne Crowe, Dr. Lyn Guy, Mr. Daniel Frost, Mr. Kevin Pruitt, Dr. Norman Mirsky (via conference phone)
Members Absent: The Reverend James Palmer, III, Mr. John Shott
Guests Present: Dr. Albert Walker, Mr. John Cardwell, Mr. Jim Nelson, Dr. Don Smith, Ms. Karen Harvey, Mr. Scott Stevenson, Ms. Anita Barilla
Call to Order
Chairman Norris Kantor called the meeting to order at 6:45 p.m. in the Bluefield State College Othello Harris-Jefferson Student Center Private Dining Room.
Approval of the Minutes of April 19, 2007
Mr. Kantor asked for corrections or a motion to approve the minutes from the April 19, 2007 Board of Governors meeting. Ms. Barilla informed the group that a typing error has already been corrected. A motion was made (LAikens/LMorhous) to approve the minutes with the corrections noted. Motion carried.
President’s Report – Dr. Albert Walker
- MOAs with New River Community and Technical College are being finalized.
- Annual Report is being prepared and should be available for the Board’s review by August or September.
- 2007 Commencement – 353 graduates were added to the 18,283 graduates from prior years for a current total of 18,636.
- Brick Sale Update – 74 additional bricks have been sold. Mr. Larry Ratliff from BB&T Bank has pledged to purchase several bricks.
- Minority Health Institute’s Annual Report – Dr. Walker reviewed some of the external grant funding for the 2006-07 year. This endeavor started three years ago with Dr. Anthony Woart and Dr. Tesfaye Belay with minor research projects. Now Bluefield State College is recognized as an undergraduate research institution by other colleges calling on Dr. Woart for assistance getting a research program started.
- Ms. Leah Taylor, Director of Human Resources has resigned effective June 8, 2007. The institution will be looking at applications of other qualified persons as replacement as soon as possible.
Mr. Kantor suggested the Agenda be modified so the Board could enter Executive Session. A motion was made (LGuy/LMorhous) to go into executive session at 7:10 p.m. Motion carried.
Mr. Kantor called the group back into regular session at 8:40 p.m.
Financial and Administrative Affairs – Mr. Scott Stephenson (for Ms. Shelia Johnson)
Mr. Stephenson called the group’s attention to a recommendation from the Chair of the Hiring Committee to change the classification for the position of Project Coordinator, Senior – Payroll from a classified position to a non-classified position. He explained that the position had been advertised and offered twice with both individuals turning down the position due to pay restrictions compared to the work load. Mr. Frost asked that the classification not only be changed for the position, but that an additional person be hired to ease the workload. A motion was made (JForlines/LGuy) to approve the recommendation and the hiring of an additional person in the payroll department. Motion carried.
Student Affairs and Enrollment Management – Mr. John Cardwell
- Fall pre-registration is currently 1,121. The college’s recruiters have been visiting area high schools and have pre-registered approximately 150 high school seniors for the fall semester.
- Career Services Office conducted a very successful job fair with the largest number of employers attending in the event’s history. These companies are asking for BSC students to fill vacant positions.
- Mr. Cardwell reported on the safety and security measures in place on the campus currently and plans for other ideas to be implemented. The evaluation of campus security will be an ongoing process to make the campus environment as safe as possible.
Mr. Frost discussed the need to evaluate the retention factors for BSC staff. He expressed his feeling that cross training is not taking place to allow employees to move up to higher paying positions and staff members leave for better pay elsewhere. Discussion followed.
Institutional Advancement and Planning – Ms. Karen Harvey
- An estate gift has been received from Mr. Billy G. Moore. He split his gift among five institutions. These funds will be endowed and used as educational scholarships as specified by Mr. Moore’s Will. Ms. Harvey announced her plan to seek other estate gifts so recognition and appreciation can be expressed to the donor during their life. Mr. Frost asked that a plaque or a picture be posted on campus with an invitation to the representative of Mr. Moore for recognition of his gift. Ms. Harvey informed the group that a Society for those making estate gifts will be created with appropriate news releases for recognition of donors.
- Ms. Harvey announced progress in moving to online giving with the addition of a pay-pal button to the website. She expressed a desire to inspire alumni and friends of the college to make contributions electronically for convenience.
Other (Such Other Business That May Properly Come Before the Board)
- Mr. Kantor announced that the election of Board Officers will take place at the June meeting and asked the members to be giving thought to their choice of a new Board Chair. Mr. Kantor informed the group that his term will be ending June 30 and he cannot be re-elected this term by law. He reviewed the various responsibilities and duties of the Board Chair with the group.
- Dr. Aikens discussed his resignation from the Board and his recommendation that the current National Alumni President, Mr. Joseph Lewis, be appointed to the Board. He stressed the need to maintain the relationship with the alumni through a position on the BOG and that the Alumni Association plans to discontinue scholarship support until the issue is addressed. Mr. Kantor reported that he had discussed the appointment with the Governor’s office and that the appointment should be made in the next couple weeks. Discussion followed.
- Mr. Frost discussed pay raises and the increase in enrollment for the current year. He informed the group that pay raises are based upon figures from the previous year.
With no further business to discuss the meeting was adjourned at 9:30 p.m.