News & Events
BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE
BOARD OF GOVERNORS
November 16, 2006
Members Present: Dr. Louis Aikens, Mr. Norris Kantor, Mr. Jeffery Forlines, Ms. Anne Crowe, Dr. Lyn Guy, Mr. Daniel Frost, Dr. Norman Mirsky
Members Absent: Mr. Jack Caffrey, Mr. Jack Stafford, The Reverend Garry Moore, Mr. Kevin Pruitt, The Reverend James Palmer III
Call to Order – Chairman Norris Kantor
Chairman Norris Kantor called the meeting to order at 6:45 p.m. in the Hebert Gallery of the Bluefield State College Othello Harris-Jefferson Student Center and asked for approval of the minutes from September 21 and October 19, 2006. Dr. Mirsky pointed out the omission of Mr. Stafford’s name in the “Members Absent” list in the October minutes. With the correction noted, the motion was made (NMirsky/DFrost) to approve the minutes from both September and October. Motion carried.
President’s Report – Dr. Albert Walker
Dr. Walker updated the Board on the following items:
- Status of Search for Director of Institutional Development and Planning – the make-up of the committee was discussed.
- Currently making appointments for legislative visits.
- 2007 Commencement Speaker will be Dr. Brian Noland, HEPC Chancellor.
- Dr. Walker announced his appointment by the Chancellor to the HEPC Master Plan Task Force.
- Congratulatory letters have been sent to election winners.
- BSC to be considered for extra funding due to Title III funding cut.
- An International Tea Social was hosted at the President’s house for all International students.
- HEPC Multicultural Affairs grant proposal has been approved for $6,000. The proposal was written and submitted by Ms. Dedriell Taylor, Interim Director of Multicultural Affairs.
- Wednesday, November 15, 2006 a multicultural presentation was given by Chief Red Hawk of the Cherokee tribe in the BSC Basic Science Auditorium. BSC faculty, staff, students, and 300 students from Bluefield Intermediate School enjoyed Chief Red Hawk’s visit.
- Dr. Walker announced that he will be attending the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU) Conference on November 20 – 22, 2006. He has been appointed to the Teacher Education Study Committee.
- BSC has been given the opportunity to submit a proposal to host the Governor’s School of the Arts beginning in 2008. If selected, BSC would be hosting 80 high school juniors for 22 days during the summer of 2008.
Enrollment Management and Student Affairs – Mr. John Cardwell
Ms. Deirdre Guyton, Director of Alumni Affairs gave an update on fund raising efforts:
- Donation of real estate by Mr. William A. Brown. Ms. Elizabeth Pruett of First Century Bank is handling this donation.
- Brick Campaign – Ms. Guyton distributed information outlining the sale of bricks to raise money for the institution.
Mr. Cardwell gave an update on enrollment:
- Enrollment headcount is currently at 1,863 but should increase to 1,875 when all students have paid. The final total from last year was 1,790.
- Mr. Cardwell called the group’s attention to the Fall Student Profile Analysis included in the packets previously received by Board members, and he reviewed the breakdown of the census data. He reviewed the number of students who transfer from New River Community and Technical College to BSC. Discussion followed.
Financial and Administrative Affairs – Ms. Shelia Johnson
- Ms. Johnson reviewed some of the items discussed at the Higher Education Policy Commission (HEPC) meeting.
- A list of capital projects was distributed and discussed in priority order.
- Current Campus Projects – Ms. Johnson reported on the various projects in progress on campus. ADA access from the Library to Hatter Hall is well underway but will not be completed until summer 2007. The elevators in the Basic Science building are almost completed. The re-roofing of the PE building and Basic Science is about 30-40% complete but some problems have slowed progress. Discussion followed involving steps the College could consider taking in an effort to recover some of the costs incurred during the corrective measure taken by the roofing company while the re-roofing project proceeds.
- Reported on the various financial audits in progress or completed.
Academic Affairs – Dr. Don Smith
- Status Report on Nanotechnology at BSC – Mr. Frank Hart, Dean of Engineering was present to discuss nanotechnology and the capabilities of BSC to incorporate a program into the BSC curriculum. Discussion followed. Mr. Forlines asked that a detailed plan be presented to the Board at a later meeting and that Mr. Hart make a recommendation to the Board at that time.
Institutional Research and Effectiveness – Dr. Tracey Anderson
Dr. Anderson reviewed the Strategic Planning process and announced that meetings will begin after the Thanksgiving Holiday to begin working on the Strategic Plan.
Human Resources – Mr. David Lord
- Board of Governors’ By-Laws – Mr. Lord shared copies of the comments received during the 30-day comment period and asked the Board to approve the by laws. Motion was made (NMirsky/ACrowe) to delete the paragraph on communications in Article 11 page 5. Discussion followed. Motion carried with one opposed. Chairman Kantor asked that a new paragraph be composed concerning communications and brought before the Board in January. Mr. Lord will seek advice from Mr. Bruce Walker (HEPC legal counsel) for alternative wording and report to the Board. Motion was made (DFrost/JForlines) to table approval of the by-laws until further information is received. Motion carried.
- Policy #24, Presidential Appointments, Responsibilities and Evaluation – Mr. Lord called the group’s attention to the proposed resolution and background contained in the packet received prior to the meeting. Discussion followed. Motion was made (NMirsky/ACrowe) to remove the statement in Section 3.5 that says “or if the Board Policy restricts the authority” and replace it with the “or if the Board restricts the authority”. Motion carried. Dr. Aikens asked for clarification on Section 188.8.131.52 “The Evaluation Team will maintain confidentiality of individual assessments and assure participants of this”. Mr. Lord explained that the suggestion has been made to have the statement changed to read “The Evaluation Team will maintain confidentiality of individual assessments and the chair is to assure participants of this”. The “chair” is the chair of the evaluation committee and not the chair of the Board. Dr. Aikens also asked that the word “assure” be changed to “inform”. Motion was made (LAikens/DFrost) to make the changes discussed. Motion carried. Motion was made (LGuy/DFrost) to adopt the policy with the noted changes. Motion carried.
- Mr. Lord presented Policies 19 and 42 and asked for approval to put these policies out for a 30-day comment period. Motion was made (LAikens/NMirsky) to release Policies 19 and 42 for a 30-day comment period. Motion carried.
- Mr. Frost asked that the group begin to consider classified staff salary raises now in order to implement the increases in July 2007.
- Mr. Kantor asked for the feelings of the group to cancel the December BOG meeting unless urgent issues need discussion. The next meeting will be January 18, 2007.
With no further business to discuss the meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.