News & Events
BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE
BOARD OF GOVERNORS
September 21, 2006
Members Present: Mr. Jack Caffrey, The Reverend Garry Moore, Mr. Norris Kantor, Mr. Jeffery Forlines, The Reverend James Palmer III, Dr. Lyn Guy, Mr. Daniel Frost, Mr. Kevin Pruitt, Dr. Norman Mirsky
Members Absent: Mr. Jack Stafford, Ms. Anne Crowe, Dr. Louis Aikens
Guests: Dr. Albert Walker, Mr. John Cardwell, Dr. Tom Blevins, Dr. Don Smith, Ms. Shelia Johnson, Mr. David Lord, Dr. Tracey Anderson, Ms. Deirdre Guyton, Ms. Anita Barilla
Call to Order – Chairman Norris Kantor
Chairman Norris Kantor called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. in the Private Dining Room of the Othello Harris-Jefferson Student Center and asked for a motion to approve the minutes of the August 17, 2006 meeting. With the correction of the meeting location noted, a motion was made (NMirsky/JCaffrey) to approve the minutes. Motion carried.
Mr. Kantor informed the group that an executive session was necessary and asked that a motion be made (JForlines/KPruitt). Motion carried. The Board returned to regular session at 8:00 p.m.
Vice President for Financial and Administrative Affairs – Ms. Shelia Johnson
- Ms. Johnson discussed the proposed salary increases and made a proposal to the Board for an increase of 33.02% of the current gap in the funding schedule for classified employees and $700 across the board for faculty and non-classified and that amount will be pro-rated for less than full-time employees.. A motion was made (DFrost/GMoore) to accept the salary proposal as stated. Motion carried with Dr. Mirsky abstaining from the vote.
- Ms. Johnson reported that she had sent a letter to Senator Robert Plymale thanking him for his assistance in reinstating funds to Bluefield State.
- WVNetwork, which does the BSC space utilization study for HEPC, has been asked to make a presentation for the President’s Cabinet detailing how the space utilization was calculated for BSC.
- Mr. Billy Moore, a teacher and educator in the Mercer County school system, has named BSC in his will. There are five institutions named in the will but no amount is known at this time for each institution. Mr. Moore specified the donation as an endowment for scholarships for the School of Education.
- Ms. Johnson reviewed the various audits which have been conducted on the campus this year and those audits that are ongoing.
- Ms. Johnson discussed the facilities project list and updated the group on the status of the roadway project which had been removed from the old list.
Human Resources – Mr. David Lord
- Mr. Lord called the group’s attention the BSC Board of Governors Manual distributed earlier and discussed the information included in the binder. He called attention to the proposed BOG By-Laws included in the Board packet and asked that each member review this document and email comments to both Mr. Kantor and himself. The approved BOG By-Laws will then be placed in the BOG Manual. Mr. Forlines asked about source of the information contained in the By-Laws and Mr. Lord told him he had research several institutions for information appropriate for the document.
- Proposed policy on Presidential Appointment, Evaluation, and Assessment – Mr. Lord explained the policy and informed the Board that a 30 day comment period is necessary before adoption. A motion was made (LGuy/NMirsky) that the policy be made public for a 30 day comment period. Motion carried.
President’s Report – Dr. Albert Walker
- Dr. Walker announced that the institution has received $9,500 from the Benedum Foundation for Teacher Education.
- There will be an advertisement in Sunday’s paper for the Director of Development position funded by Title III. This position will be advertised statewide.
- The reorganization due to the changes in Title III will be presented at the next meeting. This information will be shared with faculty, staff, etc.
- Annual Report – contains donor information and other information about the institution.
- Founder’s Day will be October 7, 2006. BSC has “adopted” the Bluefield Barons as the college’s football team, and will have a football game during Homecoming week at 7:30 p.m. on October 7.
- Mr. Carl Boyd made a significant donation that will be announced during Homecoming.
Student Affairs and Enrollment Management – Mr. John Cardwell
- Mr. Cardwell reported that Mr. Roger Workman has invited the Board of Governors to meet at the Upper-Classman II for the October meeting.
- Mr. Cardwell reported that there is a 9% increase in the number of students in the incoming class. He reviewed the enrollment information with the group and reported that the border county tuition initiative is working very well.
Dr. Walker informed the group that there had been a collaborative meeting with Dr. Ted Spring and the staff of NRCTC and BSC, and he briefly discussed the outcome and the need for at least two meetings per semester.
Mr. Forlines expressed a desire to look at salary increases long term. He discussed an article he read recently on the increasing cost of college. He asked that the Board Chair appoint a committee chaired by Ms. Anne Crowe to look at staffing on the campus and the possibility of out sourcing with a third party to provide some services. Discussion followed. Mr. Kantor appointed Ms. Anne Crowe, Dr. Lyn Guy, and The Reverend James Palmer to conduct an assessment of services.
The next Board meeting will be held on October 19, 2006. Mr. Kantor reminded the group that the Board has been invited by the Upper-Classman II pending information from Mr. Workman on space availability to accommodate for the attendance of Dr. Voelker’s class.
With no further business to discuss, the meeting was adjourned at 8:34 p.m.