Mascot Design Competition
CreatedWednesday, February 19 2014
Created byJim Nelson/Media Relations - (304) 327-4103 firstname.lastname@example.org
Requirements and Guidelines for Mascot Design Competition
Bluefield State College is initiating a mascot design competition. The Bluefield State College mascot will unify and embody school spirit and unite all organizations, sports teams and the college community under one image. The mascot will also define the College’s brand and help to identify the institution for both internal and external communities. The mascot will be displayed in College publications, advertisements, the website, clothing, facilities, and more. The mascot’s design will reflect the College’s mission, history, and culture. In addition the design will incorporate the College’s colors of blue and gold. Athletic teams will continue to be known as “Big Blue” and “Lady Blues.”
- Current students, faculty, and staff members, as well as alumni, are eligible to compete in Bluefield State College’s mascot design contest.
- Multiple submissions are allowed, but each design must be submitted individually.
- All design entries must be submitted electronically by e-mail to Mr. Jim Nelson at Jnelson@bluefieldstate.edu. Artists will receive a confirmation e-mail. For questions please contact the Office of Communications at 304.327.4103.
- All entries must be received by March 28, 2014.
- All submissions should include the following information in the e-mail:
- E-mail address
- Preferred phone number
- Position at College (student, faculty, staff, alumni)
- A 250-word description of their design, which will include an explanation of what inspired the design.
- All mascot designs must adhere to the following requirements:
- Place on white background
- Fit on one 8.5”x11” page
- Create as line art or other digital media format
- Submit in high-resolution jpg format and in original format, if not .jpg format
- Develop and submit a graphic representation of a family-friendly character
- Utilize Bluefield State College’s colors-blue (PMS 288) and gold (PMS 125).
- By submitting artwork to this design contest, the artist warrants and represents that the artwork is original, that the artist holds exclusive and perpetual rights to all intellectual property rights in the work and has the right to grant all intellectual property rights in the work to Bluefield State College. Further, the artist represents and warrants that the design is an original work that is not similar to any existing design.
The mascot design challenge begins February 20, 2014, and runs through March 28, 2014. All design entries submitted after midnight, March 28, 2014, will be disqualified. All design entries that do not follow the mascot design guidelines and/or are incomplete will be disqualified. Artists may not post their designs on public websites or use in their portfolios until an official winner is selected and announced. After the announcement, all artists should label their artwork as a contest entry or sample.
Artists who do not meet these requirements will be disqualified. Decisions of Bluefield State College are final. The winning design shall become the exclusive and perpetual property of Bluefield State College; by submitting the design entry, the artist agrees to this assignment of all rights to Bluefield State College in the event that the artist’s submission is determined to be the winner. Furthermore, the College reserves the right to alter and to create derivative works from the design entry.
All submissions will undergo a blind review—without name or position—by the College Office of Media Relations in round one. All submissions that are consistent with the “family friendly” Submission Guideline #6 (above) will advanced to Round two. Round two will be an online vote by the campus community including alumni. The top three designs will advance to round three. In round three, a committee of six students (three from SGA, three from athletics), two faculty, two staff (one from athletics, one at large), two administrators (appointed by the president), and two alumni will make a recommendation to the President.
Submissions will be judged on creativity and artistic quality, as well as how well they represent the College and encourage school spirit. Bluefield State College shall have the sole discretion to select the winning design based on this and other criteria that it feels, in its sole discretion, appropriate.
When reviewing and evaluating mascot ideas, the reviewers will use the following guidelines. The proposed mascot:
- must be one that can be translated into a costume that a person can walk around in
- can be human, animal, vegetable, mineral, or ?
- must be able to be attractively presented in blue and gold
- cannot violate National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) guidelines and rules
- must engender pride and affection for Bluefield State College
- must be appropriate at both athletic and non-athletic events
- must be unique and have a connection to the special history and traditions of the College
- must be able to stand the test of time
- must be compatible with the official marks of the College of Bluefield State College
- must support future marketing and communication activities
Bluefield State College may replace the first-selected design with an alternate design if it determines that the alternate design is, in Bluefield State College’s discretion, more appropriate.
The decision of the judges is final. The winning design becomes the property of Bluefield State
College, as stated above.
The winning design will be announced at the student awards banquet at the end of April..
The artist with the winning design will be initially credited for their work on the College website, as well as various communications channels used by Bluefield State College such as
Facebook. Not all uses of the design by the College will carry attribution.
Upon notification of the winning design, the selected artist will be invited to work collaboratively with the Office of Media Relations to refine the design and prepare it for use in publications, the website, and other communications channels. The winning design, as it may be altered, also becomes the exclusive and perpetual property of Bluefield State College.
The winning design will be proudly displayed throughout Bluefield State College—from the website to clothing worn by students. It will encourage the entire College community to share their school spirit!
In addition, a monetary award in such amount as may be determined in the discretion of the College will be provided to the winner. The winner may be required to complete state and federal tax documents, and the prize may be reported to federal and state tax authorities via a 1099 informational return or a W-2 employee earning statement or similar reports.
As a condition of receipt of a prize, the winning artist may be required to submit additional information to the College and agree to responsibility for any taxes that may be due; portions of the prize may be subject to withholding requirements.
 Employees in the Office of Communications cannot participate in the contest.
 Employees cannot work on contest entries during the workday. Entries must be created outsidework hours.