BSC Hosts Six-College Job Fair, April 8
CreatedTuesday, March 24 2009
Created byJim Nelson/Media Relations - (304) 327-4103 firstname.lastname@example.org
(Bluefield)— The 21st annual Spring Job Fair at Bluefield State College will be held on Wednesday, April 8, 2009, 9 a.m.-2 p.m., in the Ned E. Shott Gymnasium. The event is a collaborative project that welcomes college students and graduates from Bluefield State College, Concord University, Bluefield College, New River Community and Technical College (NRCTC), Southwest Virginia Community College, Wytheville Community College, and all other local and regional colleges and universities. It is designed to provide an opportunity for individuals pursuing career interests to meet and discuss options with potential future employers. Businesses and organizations can participate in the event, free of charge, but are required to pre-register (see details below).
"Last year’s Job Fair attracted the highest number of recruiters in the 20-year history of the event,” noted Tom Harrison, BSC’s Director of Career Services. “The Job Fair brings employment opportunities to students approaching graduation, along with recent graduates. It also provides a laboratory-type learning experience for freshmen, sophomores, and juniors who get to meet and talk to prospective employers."
Each student taking part in the Job Fair received a vendors’ map, noting the location of each recruiting organization, as well as the academic areas of emphasis sought by each recruiting organization.
Harrison observed that approximately a dozen students who meet with prospective employers at prior Job Fairs returned during future years in the role of recruiters for the organizations with which they are now employed. He also expressed special appreciation to each collaborating institution for its assistance. “Many people worked together to make this event happen,” he said.
To date, the following businesses and organizations have registered to participate in the event:
- ABB, INC.
- AMERICAN GENERAL FINANCE
- AMERICAN MINE RESEARCH (AMR)
- BIRTH TO THREE PROGRAM
- BUCYRUS AMERICA, INC.
- CHARLOTTE-MECKLENBURG POLICE
- COUNCIL ON AGING/ALL CARE HOME COMMUNITY SERVICES, INC.
- DANVILLE (VA) PUBLIC SCHOOLS
- DISHNETWORK (ECHOSTAR)
- FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION (FBI)
- FEDERAL BUREAU OF PRISONS US PENITENTIARY AT LEE COUNTY VA
- FEDERAL CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTES (FCI BECKLEY AND WELCH)
- FEDERAL PRISON CAMP (FPC ALDERSON)
- FIRST COMMUNITY BANK
- JOY MINING MACHINERY
- KING COLLEGE GRADUATE & PROFESSIONAL STUDIES PROGRAM (@ SVCC)
- MCDOWELL COUNTY CORRECTIONS
- MERCER NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER
- MTC TRANSFORMERS
- OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY GRADUATE PROGRAMS (@ SVCC)
- PREFERRED HOME HEALTH
- PRINCETON COMMUNITY HOSPITAL
- PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION OF WEST VIRGINIA
- PYOTT BOONE ELECTRONICS
- SAUNDERS STAFFING
- SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
- TERRADON CORPORATION
- THOMPSON & LITTON
- TSM CORPORATION
- US DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE-ANIMAL AND PLANT HEALTH INSPECTION SERVICE
- VIRGINIA STATE POLICE
- VIRGINIA TECH
- WELLMONT HEALTH SYSTEM
- WORKFORCE WEST VIRGINIA
- WV AIR NATIONAL GUARD
- WV ARMY NATIONAL GUARD
- WV DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN RESOURCES (DHHR)
- WV DEPARTMENT OF INSTITUTIONAL EDUCATION
- WV STATE POLICE
- WVVA TELEVISION, INC.
Businesses and organizations interested in attending this year’s Job Fair are asked to contact Tom Harrison, BSC’s Director of Career Services (304) 327-4011, email@example.com) by Monday, April 6.