“A Diamond in the Mountains”
- Bluefield State College offers a significantly reduced out-of-state tuition rate for residents of 28 southwest Virginia counties, as well as selected counties in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Kentucky, and Maryland.
- Bluefield State College has the most affordable in-state tuition of all public four-year colleges and universities within a 200 mile region.
- Bluefield State College is an outstanding steward of its resources, maintaining 14 nationally accredited programs and graduating an average of more than 350 students annually since 2002.
- Since June 2012, Bluefield State College has established new articulation agreements and memoranda of understanding with other regional institutions of higher education, permitting qualifying students from those institutions' associate degree programs to enter specific baccalaureate degree programs at Bluefield State College. Those partner institutions include Southern West Virginia Community & Technical College, Wytheville Community College, New River Community & Technical College, Virginia Western Community College, and Southwest Virginia Community College.
- A Bluefield State College student team won the Virginia's American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Student Conference "National Student Steel Bridge Competition (NSSBC) regional championship at Howard University in Washington, D.C., then competed in the national championship in Seattle, WA.
- Two Bluefield State College students won a world championship at the GLO-BUS Best-Strategy Invitational (BSI) business simulation competition. They competed against 118 teams from institutions of higher education throughout the world.
- BSC was selected for the 12th consecutive year as one of "America's Best Colleges" by U.S. News & World Report.
- The BSC men's tennis team dominated the West Virginia Conference, winning regular season and tournament championships, then repeating as the NCAA Division II's Atlantic Region One champions. The Big Blues' golf team earned its fourth consecutive trip to the NCAA II Atlantic/East Regional championship, winning the WVIAC Southern Regional and Roanoke College Invitational tournaments. The BSC women's basketball team posted best record in last 16 seasons.
- The Bluefield State College swimming pool has undergone a $425,000 renovation. The pool features a state-of-the-art filtration system, new safety and recreational equipment, and refurbished locker rooms and bleachers. The Hugh I. Shott, Jr. Foundation provided substantial support for the renovations.
- The College has received a $100,000 "Energy Conservation Grant" from the Thurgood Marshall College Fund/Department of Energy. Through a previous TMCF grant, solar energy panels have been installed at Bluefield State College. The new grant will permit the College to partner with local high schools to advance STEM education through a student pipeline establishment.
- Bluefield State College has enhanced its research capabilities with several equipment and project grants from the West Virginia Idea Network for Biomedical Research Excellence and the NASA West Virginia Space Grant Consortium.
- Each school year, many of the best and brightest students in the Mercer County School system traveled to BSC to compete for titles in Spelling Bee, Math Field Day, Reading Bee, and two Battle of the Books events.
(Revised: June 7, 2013)